iPad 5 smart covers purportedly outed in videoA new video released on Thursday by Unbox Therapy claims to show a number of Smart Covers designed for Apple's slimmer fifth-generation iPad. The magnetic covers fit perfectly on leaked components that also match the dimensions expected for the next iPad, though an unusual design choice casts doubt on the products' authenticity.
Rather than carrying the new, fabric-covered hinge design from the iPad mini, the covers shown in the video retain the "classic" hinge in use since the Smart Covers' debut with the iPad 2. The older hinge has been known to scratch the aluminum where it rests, an issue that would be unacceptable with the new anodizing process rumored to be used for the iPad 5.
The purported new Smart Covers are said to be in manufacturing right now. They are shown in color options of red, pink, light grey, orange, green, white, black, and blue.
On Topic: iPad
- I Bet My Life: Microsoft HoloLens perfectly targets its core competency
- How AMD and Nvidia lost the mobile GPU chip business to Apple -- with help from Samsung and Google
- Apple exploring smarter Smart Cover, new gesture controls for iPad
- How Intel lost the mobile chip business to Apple's Ax ARM Application Processors
- KGI: Apple likely to launch simple stylus to enhance upcoming 12.9-inch iPad user experience; advanced model with 3D handwriting due later