We are currently experiencing server issues, please excuse any mess. More details are availble here.
Customized Product (RED) Mac Pro revealed for upcoming charity auctionAuction house Sotheby's on Friday outed another collaboration between Apple SVP of Design Jony Ive and acclaimed industrial designer Marc Newson, this time a custom Product (RED) edition Mac Pro.
According to Sotheby's estimates for Lot 27, the "selected and customised" Apple desktop will go for between $40,000 and $60,000, though the final going price will likely be much more.
As with Ive's previous work for the Nov. 23 charity auction, including a one-off Leica M digital rangefinder, the Mac Pro has added flair above and beyond the normal retail version set to hit store shelves this December. Not much is revealed in the lot detail, though it appears from the pictures that the aluminum substructure and outer shell have been anodized in red.
In addition to the Leica and the Mac Pro, Ive worked with Newson and Bono on a pair of 18 karat rose gold EarPods. The Apple design guru is also listed as having a hand in a custom Range Rover, an Hermès horse saddle and a Dom Pérignon bottle cooler (which includes a 1.5L Magnum bottle of Dom Pérignon nothèque 1966), among other red designs.
The charity event, titled "Jony and Marc's (RED) Auction," benefits the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.
On Topic: Mac Pro
- Nvidia working with Apple on graphics for 'revolutionary' new Mac products
- Apple offers free repairs for 2013 Mac Pros with defective video cards
- Leaked sample of Intel's Broadwell-EP Xeon E5 chip may hint at Mac Pro specs
- Potential reference to new Mac Pro found in OS X El Capitan code
- Lowest Prices Ever: Save $100s on all Mac Pros, each with Free AppleCare and Free Apple Wireless Keyboard & Magic Mouse; Apple Thunderbolt Displays for $750