Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 02:30 pm PT (05:30 pm ET)
Apple issues new Boot Camp Support Software, updates Compressor with bug fixesApple on Tuesday released new Boot Camp Support Software for 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Window 8, as well as an update for Compressor that brings a handful of bug fixes and stability improvements to the professional-level video encoding and formatting software.
Boot Camp Support Software
Apple issued two versions of its Boot Camp Support Software on Tuesday, both of which contain Windows Support Software (Windows Drivers) needed to run 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 on Intel-based Macs.
Boot Camp Support Software version 5.1.5640 covers mid-2013 MacBook Airs, late-2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display models and late-2013 iMacs.
A second iteration of the software, version 5.1.5621, should be downloaded for users of the following Macs:
- MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2011)
- MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2012)
- MacBook Pro (15-inch & 17-inch, Mid 2010)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, & 15-inch, Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch,15-inch & 17-inch Late 2011)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch & 15-inch, Mid 2012)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, Early 2013)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013)
- Mac Pro (Early 2009)
- Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
- Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013)
- Mac mini (Mid 2011)
- Mac mini (Late 2012)
- iMac (27-inch, Quad Core, Late 2009)
- iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Mid 2010)
- iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Mid 2011)
- iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2011)
- iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Late 2012)
Both iterations of the latest Boot Camp Support Software come as .zip files, with the 942.6MB version 5.1.5640 and 924.9MB version 5.1.5621 available as free downloads from Apple's Support Downloads website.
With Compressor 4.1.1, Apple addresses problems users have seen when installing the encoding and video output utility on systems where Qmaster was previously enabled. Also fixed are distributed encoding errors that would crop up when source files were not present on the startup volume.
Also resolved are stability issues when using multiple Compressor plug-ins, problems when viewing plug-in settings without the plug-in installed and an error that could cause a system to hang when batch encoding.
In addition to the bug fixes, the new version improves stability of transferring files from Final Cut Pro X via Send to Compressor, as well as other general improvements.
Existing Compressor users can download version 4.1.1 from the Mac App Store or Software Update, while new users can purchase the software for $49.99.
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Apple updates pro-level video suite with fixes for Final Cut Pro X, Compressor and Motion
- Mailbox for Mac hits public beta, adds synced drafts and 'snooze to desktop' feature
- Rumor: Undisclosed security breach cause of Apple's new Gatekeeper app signing policy
- Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6
- Apple releases Safari 6.1.6 and Safari 7.0.6 with security improvements