Apple releases fifth betas of iOS 8.2, Xcode 6.2 with latest WatchKit tools for developersApple on Monday supplied developers with a fifth beta of iOS 8.2, as well as a new pre-release build of Xcode 6.2, giving the latest WatchKit tools for developing Apple Watch software.
iOS 8.2 beta 5 is available via Software Update in the iPhone's native Settings application, or via the iOS Developer Center website. As always, Apple has cautioned that the test software should only be deployed on devices dedicated for iOS 8.2 beta software development.
In addition, Xcode 6.2 beta 5 is also available to download.
The release comes just a few weeks after iOS 8.2 beta 4 was provided to developers in mid-January. The highly anticipated iOS 8.2 update should be available to consumers at some point before the Apple Watch debuts in April.
iOS 8.2 will be required to unlock connectivity with the Apple Watch, which requires being tethered to an iPhone for basic functionality such as support for third-party apps.
The first iOS 8.2 beta debuted WatchKit support in mid-November, giving developers their first crack at creating applications for the forthcoming Apple Watch. Developers can create custom third-party applications, Glances, and actionable notifications for the upcoming hardware, set to hit the market in early 2015.
On Topic: iOS
- iOS 10 cracks open Apple's Siri voice assistance to third party apps
- New Chinese rules say Apple's App Store must track identities of users, developers
- Safari 10 brings fast, native App Extensions to the macOS browser, web content
- Twitter photo stickers coming soon to iOS app
- Apple's differential privacy in iOS 10 is opt-in, limited to four use cases