iOS 12 now installed on 88 percent of compatible devices

article thumbnail

AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.

Updated adoption statistics released by Apple show that iOS 12 adoption rates have reached 88 percent on compatible devices, a month before iOS 13 is set to release.

Apple has updated their adoption statistics on their developer page, showing that 90 percent of devices introduced in the last 4 years are now using iOS 12. The remaining 10 percent is split between iOS 11 (seven percent) and earlier operating systems (three percent.)

According to the data, iOS 12 is installed on 88 percent of all iOS 12-compatible devices. Like former iOS releases, iOS 12 has had steady adoption since it was released.

Earlier operating systems are likely iOS 9, which left behind the iPad 2 and the original iPad mini. It is still possible to install compatible apps on these older devices, using a user's purchase history.

In February, iOS 12 was installed on 80 percent of compatible devices, and 83 percent of those released in the last four years.

iOS 12 has seen rapid adoption rates, hitting 53% in under a month after initial release, jumping to 70% in December of 2018. In comparison, iOS 11 was installed on just 59 percent of devices in December 2017.

Introduced alongside the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max in September 2018, iOS 12 features powerful photography tools, tools to monitor and manage screen time, Group FaceTime, and ARKit 2. iOS 12 also saw the addition of Memoji characters.

Apple's focus on improved OS performance on older devices may explain the year-over-year increase in adoption of iOS.