This week, EuFy had a major problem with users seeing other people's camera feeds instead of their own — unless they were HomeKit users. Andrew and Stephen explain what happened and why HomeKit Secure Video users saw none of this.
Whereas, HomeKit users could see all manner of new hardware and software announcements, including some from Apple. As the Apple TV 4K with its HomeKit Thread support started arriving for pre-order customers, so we learned more about how it works with the new lossless Apple Music.
There's a lot of confusion over which devices will be able to play back the new improved audio, though, so HomeKit Insider clears that up — as much as anyone can so far.
As well as Apple's hardware, though, we also got news of the Belkin SoundForm AirPlay 2 adapter that will turn any of your existing speakers into smart ones. Plus several significant app updates were also announced, including a new Home Screen widget for the Netatmo smart HomeKit weather station.
One announcement we didn't get, but which now seems more possible than before, was regarding Google's Nest product line and whether it would ever come to HomeKit. Google has announced that it will support Matter, the Apple-backed smart home protocol — and that should mean the Nest Thermostat will work with HomeKit.
Andrew also reviewed the Deep Sentinel security system. This one is unique from any other smart home camera because it relies on live security personnel monitoring your live feeds coupled with artificial intelligence to intervene before a crime happens and to get the fastest possible response time from police should an event occur.
Links from the show
- Eufy owners privacy breached for an hour, app showed wrong cameras
- Google Nest will soon be on HomeKit thanks to Matter support
- Amazon partners with Tile to take on Apple AirTags
- Belkin Soundform Connect brings AirPlay 2 to any speaker
- Home app gets HomePod timer controls in iOS 14.7 beta
- How to listen to Apple Music Lossless Audio and what you need
- Apple's Spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos explained
- AirPods to gain lossless streaming capabilities via software update, says leaker
- Apple Music announces Lossless Audio, Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos
- AirPods Max won't support Apple Music lossless over Lightning, HomePod also left out
- Fiio Lossless Bluetooth
- Athom EU No Neutral Switch
- Deep Sentinel Camera
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.