Friday, October 12, 2012, 03:39 pm PT (06:39 pm ET)
Rumored 'iPad mini' event to focus on iBooks, report saysShortly after it was reported that Apple is "likely" to unveil a 7.85-inch iPad at an as-yet-unannounced event on Oct. 23, a separate report claims the alleged product announcement will focus on the purported tablet's e-book capabilities.
According to "multiple sources," Apple's rumored "iPad mini" special event is expected to showcase the unannounced device's media support, especially in regard to iBooks, suggesting the company is planning on marketing the tablet as a content consumption vehicle, reports The Next Web.
Lead by Amazon's Kindle Fire, the small form factor tablet market has seen success by luring in a wide base of users with low-cost devices to push content sales. Pundits speculate that Apple will take a similar tack and offer the iPad mini at a price comparable to rival offerings like Google's Nexus 7, boosting margins by leveraging content sales from iTunes.
The sources' claims are in line with previous reports saying that Apple is attempting to keep the unit's retail price down by using a non-Retina display, as well as other relatively low-cost components.
Earlier this week it was reported that Apple had tasked its Asian suppliers to build over ten million iPad minis for the fourth quarter, signaling the company's confidence in high sales for the holiday shopping season.
It is rumored that Apple will unveil the iPad mini at an event on Oct. 23, with a product rollout expected to follow shortly after.
On Topic: Future Hardware
- Apple may be hiding behind 'Brightflash' dummy corporation to trademark 'iWatch' name
- Intel's next-gen Thunderbolt rumored to hit 40Gbps transfer speeds with new connector
- Apple trademark update suggests company may enter jewelry business, hinting at rumored 'iWatch'
- Apple's 2014 iPads to sport Touch ID & TSMC-built A8 CPU, 12.9" iPad unlikely till 2015
- Apple 'likely' to launch low-cost iMac soon, Retina MacBook Air still on track for 2014 debut