Google's YouTube iOS app now available for iPad, adds iPhone 5 and AirPlay supportComing on the heels of its Gmail refresh, and a host of other iOS app updates released on Tuesday, Google made available its native YouTube app for Apple's iDevices, bringing an optimized user experience for iPad and the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen as well as other enhancements.
YouTube iOS app running on an iPhone 5. | Source: YouTube
When Google launched the first standalone YouTube for iOS app in September, the effort was largely considered to be a stopgap until the company was able to build a universal version that would work on both the iPad and iPhone, including the then-unreleased iPhone 5.
Until now, iPad users wanting access to YouTube were forced to download third-party apps or use the ubiquitous web video service's web client through Safari. With Tuesday's update, YouTube is now native on all iOS devices, including the Retina display-toting iPad. The app also supports the iPhone 5's 4-inch display, meaning the app no longer has black "handlebars" when viewing videos in landscape mode, a major gripe some had with the original version released before iOS 6.
YouTube homepage as seen on the Retina display iPad.
Along with the new device compatibility, YouTube offers support for Apple's AirPlay, allowing video content to be streamed wirelessly for big-screen viewing via the Apple TV.
From the release notes:
What's New in Version 22.214.171.12436
- Optimized for iPad and iPhone 5
- Stream videos with AirPlay
- Tap logo to open your Guide of channels
- Add and remove videos from your playlists
- Clickable links in video descriptions
- Improved accessibility with VoiceOver
YouTube for iOS weighs in at 11.6 MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.
On Topic: General
- Apple patents laser mapping system, hybrid mechanical-capacitive keyboard, invisible I/O connectors
- Apple, Silicon Valley raised millions to fund Hillary Clinton platform backing tech's positions on encryption, privacy, innovation, patents, education
- Disney said to be weighing Twitter purchase to bolster online video efforts
- Sonos brings PLAY:1 & PLAY:5 speakers to Apple's online & retail stores
- Photos show Apple's newly relocated & revamped Brea Mall store [u]