Thursday, November 21, 2013, 04:53 pm PT (07:53 pm ET)
Apple fixes USB HDD issues with AirPort Extreme, Time Capsule firmware updateIn a firmware update issued on Thursday, Apple addressed a few minor problems with its newest 802.11ac AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule base stations, including a problem with USB hard drive connectivity.
According to the release notes, Apple's firmware update 7.7.2 applies to AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Wi-Fi base stations that support the 802.11ac protocol.
The most pressing issue fixed with the update is a bug that prevented USB hard drives connected to an AirPort from appearing as an available disk in Time Machine. Apple's base stations allow users to connect external hard drives to maximize storage space, or make more storage available wirelessly.
Also addressed is an issue that caused intermittent WAN outages for some users, and another that resulted in a network loop.
Apple's firmware update 7.7.2 is available for download now from Apple's Support Downloads webpage.
On Topic: General
- Apple activates two-step authentication for iCloud Web portal
- Appellate court rejects $368 million VirnetX patent victory over Apple
- Misfit announces Flash, an affordable $49 wearable fitness and sleep tracker
- Apple's patented physics-based iPad GUI translates file size into mass, supports intuitive gestures
- Apple to limit iPhone 6 NFC to Apple Pay, restrict developer access