FCC's debuts iOS speed test app to map performance of U.S. broadband servicesThe U.S. Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday released a broadband speed test tool for iOS that not only provides instant feedback on current network health, but also aggregates anonymized speed and location data to maintain a nationwide performance map.
As part of its Measuring Broadband America initiative, the FCC rolled out its FCC Speed Test tool to create a map of nationwide broadband speeds. The app was first launched on Android last fall, reports re/code.
In the effort to map out the nation's network speeds, the FCC says no unique or persistent identifiers will be associated with collected data. Cell tower identifiers, GPS location data and other "passive" metrics will, however, be stored in the sandboxed app for user review. Along with the network health information, the anonymous data is intermittently uploaded to the FCC's servers for aggregation.
The iOS version operates in much the same manner as its Android counterpart in offering tests for download/upload speeds, network latency and packet loss. Historical speed data and real-time performance can also be accessed via the spartan user interface.
Most of the app's features can be found in established third-party software like Ookla's popular Speedtest.net Mobile Speed Test, but unlike the FCC's software, those options are usually ad-supported.
The FCC Speed Test app is a free 2.8MB download from the App Store. Users concerned over privacy issues can delete the app and its associated data at any time.
On Topic: App Store
- Amazon Game Studios announces plans to bring four games to Apple's iOS
- Gmail gets share sheet functions, Foursquare saves favorite places, Imgur overhauls design
- Disney's 'Show Your Disney Side' app for iPhone transforms you into your favorite character
- BitTorrent Sync gains new look, Mint for iOS picks up bill reminders, Sonos adds simpler Room access
- Google Play Music now stores 50K songs free, Apple's iTunes Match still at 25K songs for $25/year