Google updates Maps app for Apple's iOS with new navigation options and Uber integrationSearch giant Google on Tuesday unveiled a major update to its native Maps application, adding a slew of new navigation features such as lane guidance and walking time as well as the ability to book a ride from car hire service Uber directly from the app.
Google's latest update to Maps is a boon for both drivers and commuters who use public transportation. Those who spend their time in a car, for instance, can now have the app's turn-by-turn directions feature tell them which lane to drive in based on their route.
Public transportation aficionados will find that walking time has been added to transit routing, and the app will automatically show the next scheduled bus or train departure. Those who prefer a car service, meanwhile, can access Uber directly from the route options display.
The app's search options have also been updated. Points of interest such as hotels and restaurants can be sorted by rating, and users can now search using their voice.
Other enhancements include the ability to save offline maps to a custom list, a redesigned navigation mode, a new scale bar, iPhone and iPad contacts integration, Google Account support for saving new places, and new pin dropping functionality to share or save locations.
Google Maps version 3.0.0 is available now as a free, 13.4-megabyte download from the App Store.
On Topic: Google
- Google Maps gets food delivery, plus code integration in update
- Google signs up CBS for upcoming YouTube Unplugged live TV service - report
- Google may halve memory consumption in Chrome 55 update
- Google Maps updates with new iOS 10 widgets, more place details
- Google's Pixel XL priced like Apple's iPhone 7 Plus but is half as fast, lacks many key features