Google updates Maps app for Apple's iOS with new navigation options and Uber integrationSearch giant Google on Tuesday unveiled a major update to its native Maps application, adding a slew of new navigation features such as lane guidance and walking time as well as the ability to book a ride from car hire service Uber directly from the app.
Google's latest update to Maps is a boon for both drivers and commuters who use public transportation. Those who spend their time in a car, for instance, can now have the app's turn-by-turn directions feature tell them which lane to drive in based on their route.
Public transportation aficionados will find that walking time has been added to transit routing, and the app will automatically show the next scheduled bus or train departure. Those who prefer a car service, meanwhile, can access Uber directly from the route options display.
The app's search options have also been updated. Points of interest such as hotels and restaurants can be sorted by rating, and users can now search using their voice.
Other enhancements include the ability to save offline maps to a custom list, a redesigned navigation mode, a new scale bar, iPhone and iPad contacts integration, Google Account support for saving new places, and new pin dropping functionality to share or save locations.
Google Maps version 3.0.0 is available now as a free, 13.4-megabyte download from the App Store.
On Topic: Google
- Free, ad-supported Google Play Music stations debut in US a week before Apple Music & Beats 1
- Apple's Siri, Spotlight extend Google-like search inside iOS 9 apps, without tracking users
- WWDC 2015 guaranteed to highlight growing gap between Apple and Google
- Google I/O 2015 sets a low bar for Apple's WWDC to leap
- Google opens Inbox access, brings Cardboard to iOS, updates Places API and Maps