Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 11:22 am PT (02:22 pm ET)
Google updates Maps app for Apple's iOS with new navigation options and Uber integrationSearch giant Google on Tuesday unveiled a major update to its native Maps application, adding a slew of new navigation features such as lane guidance and walking time as well as the ability to book a ride from car hire service Uber directly from the app.
Google's latest update to Maps is a boon for both drivers and commuters who use public transportation. Those who spend their time in a car, for instance, can now have the app's turn-by-turn directions feature tell them which lane to drive in based on their route.
Public transportation aficionados will find that walking time has been added to transit routing, and the app will automatically show the next scheduled bus or train departure. Those who prefer a car service, meanwhile, can access Uber directly from the route options display.
The app's search options have also been updated. Points of interest such as hotels and restaurants can be sorted by rating, and users can now search using their voice.
Other enhancements include the ability to save offline maps to a custom list, a redesigned navigation mode, a new scale bar, iPhone and iPad contacts integration, Google Account support for saving new places, and new pin dropping functionality to share or save locations.
Google Maps version 3.0.0 is available now as a free, 13.4-megabyte download from the App Store.
On Topic: Google
- Apple, Google appeal Judge Koh's rejection of settlement in no-poach lawsuit
- Apple, Google reopen settlement talks in Silicon Valley no-poach lawsuit
- Samsung's wrap-around smartphone screen concept becomes a reality with Galaxy Note Edge
- Samsung officially unveils Galaxy Note 4, Gears S, and new Gear VR partnership with Oculus
- Google bolsters iOS productivity suite with Slides, updates to Docs and Sheets