Facebook for iOS hits version 10.0 with 'write now, post later' feature, speed enhancementsUbiquitous social network Facebook on Wednesday issued an update to its flagship iOS app, bringing a new feature that automatically publishes posts created when a user's cell signal is weak or their phone is not connected to a data network.
Facebook version 10.0 continues the company's odd version numbering scheme as the changes made in this latest iteration are far less significant than some recent point updates.
The most substantial addition to the app comes in a new feature that lets users concoct draft posts while offline and upload them when a network connection becomes available. Facebook says the function kicks in when a data connection is weak or the device is in Airplane Mode.
Additionally, version 10.0 allows users to preview draft posts prior to publishing and remove unwanted "suggested links" to books, movies and songs when sharing status updates.
Finally, the update brings unnamed improvements that speed up News Feed loading times, especially when the app is used on older devices.
Facebook version 10.0 is a free 59.4MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- First look: Third-party apps on Apple Watch
- Roundup: The best and most interesting third-party apps for your new Apple Watch
- First look: The official AppleInsider app for Apple Watch
- Apple launches Watch App Store and online User Guide
- Apple under fire once again for inconsistent App Store rule enforcement