Beats Music gets price cut, free trial extension after Apple acquisitionHot off its acquisition by Apple, Beats Music announced in an update to its iOS app on Wednesday that new users can take advantage of an extended 14-day free trial period and decreased annual subscription pricing.
Beats Music version 2.1 is more about pricing and availability than new features, though the Apple-owned company managed to pack "tons" of bug fixes into its latest release. Perhaps more interesting than new features and pricing is the fact that Apple, or at least one of its soon-to-be subsidiaries, makes an app for rival smartphone platform Android.
According to Beats, first-time users can now test out the app and corresponding service for 14 days before making a decision to buy. Since the app launched in January, Previously, the sample period has been capped at 7 days.
In addition to doubling up on the trial period Beats Music has cut subscription pricing to $99.99 per year, down from $119.88 per year. The company previously marketed the subscription as a $9.99 monthly fee, but with the new price fees come out to roughly $8.30 per month.
Finally, Beats Music mentions a number of unnamed bug fixes that are included in the latest app version to ensure the experience "runs as smooth as silk."
Apple announced on Wednesday that it will acquire Beats Electronics and Beats Music for $3 billion. In a subsequent interview, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Beats Music's curated service represents a head start in subscription music streaming, something Cupertino has yet to roll out.
Beats Music is a free 17.2MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Federal appeals court declines to stay Smartflash case against Apple
- Yahoo debuts Livetext silent video messaging app
- This week on AppleInsider: Apple's record Q3, 'Apple Car' news, Back to School promo & more
- App Store puts 100 iOS titles on sale for 99 cents, YouTube app updated with 'vertical video' support
- Apple celebrates 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act with App Store collection