Vimeo launches revamped Apple TV channel with better discovery, on-demand videoVideo sharing service Vimeo on Wednesday rolled out an all-new version of its Apple TV channel, bringing a streamlined user interface, new curated playlists, and trailers from Vimeo On Demand to Apple's set-top streamer.
The company simplified the channel's navigation, paring it down to what Vimeo says are "the essentials." Users can browse the main discovery screen, peruse their personalized feed, manage their Watch Later list, look at their own videos, or search through the service's collection.
Viewers are now able to watch trailers for Vimeo's growing On Demand library and add titles to their Watch List, though purchasing is not currently supported through Apple TV. AppleInsider has asked Vimeo whether technical issues prevented purchases from being offered or if it was simply a business decision, but the company had yet to respond at press time.
Apple TV owners will also find a new selection of curated playlists, including a Staff Favorites album that collects all of Vimeo's Staff Picks each month. The channel will also respect viewers' content filter preferences — showing only safe content to logged-out users — while pressing "more" on a video will show other videos from that creator as well as related albums, channels, and groups.
Founded in 2004 as part of CollegeHumor's internet empire, Vimeo has established a reputation for high-quality content and was the first video sharing site to support high definition video. A Vimeo channel was first added to the Apple TV in 2011.
On Topic: Apple TV
- Apple partner Imagination unveils PowerVR 'super-GPU' with 512 ALU cores for game consoles
- Piper Jaffray sees a revamped Apple TV set-top box being core of Apple's fall 2015 products
- Apple restarts talks with content owners for over-the-top, web-based TV service
- Briefly: Apple TV gains 120 Sports channel, Twitter adds group messaging
- Amazon expands original content program with feature films as Apple TV adds more live sports