Vimeo launches revamped Apple TV channel with better discovery, on-demand videoVideo sharing service Vimeo on Wednesday rolled out an all-new version of its Apple TV channel, bringing a streamlined user interface, new curated playlists, and trailers from Vimeo On Demand to Apple's set-top streamer.
The company simplified the channel's navigation, paring it down to what Vimeo says are "the essentials." Users can browse the main discovery screen, peruse their personalized feed, manage their Watch Later list, look at their own videos, or search through the service's collection.
Viewers are now able to watch trailers for Vimeo's growing On Demand library and add titles to their Watch List, though purchasing is not currently supported through Apple TV. AppleInsider has asked Vimeo whether technical issues prevented purchases from being offered or if it was simply a business decision, but the company had yet to respond at press time.
Apple TV owners will also find a new selection of curated playlists, including a Staff Favorites album that collects all of Vimeo's Staff Picks each month. The channel will also respect viewers' content filter preferences — showing only safe content to logged-out users — while pressing "more" on a video will show other videos from that creator as well as related albums, channels, and groups.
Founded in 2004 as part of CollegeHumor's internet empire, Vimeo has established a reputation for high-quality content and was the first video sharing site to support high definition video. A Vimeo channel was first added to the Apple TV in 2011.
On Topic: Apple TV
- NFL Game Pass to offer on-demand games on Apple TV, other Apple devices
- Talks with major networks for Apple streaming TV service making rapid progress - report
- Showtime's new cord-cutter channel launches on Apple TV with 30-day free trial
- Apple Music offers a peek into the future of Apple Inc, and its stark contrast to Google and Microsoft
- Rumor: Apple could be plotting new multitouch Bluetooth remote, OS X El Capitan beta reveals