Apple's new MacBook Pro with Retina display models unboxed, SSDs speed testedHours after Apple released its refreshed MacBook Pro with Retina display lineup, aftermarket parts reseller Other World Computing has SSD speed test results for both 13-inch and 15-inch models, as well as photos of a partial teardown.
As noted in a recent blog post, OWC was able to get their hands on Apple's latest 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display models, both entry-level versions with 128GB and 256GB flash drives, respectively.
In its initial test, the firm saw minimal difference between the two setups, though average random write speed on the 15-inch model was more than twice as fast as that of the smaller laptop. Random reads were also accomplished at a faster clip with the larger model, though not at speeds noticeable to the end user.
OWC's Retina MacBook Pro examples use Samsung SSD modules for the 15-inch (top) and SanDisk with Marvell controller for the 13-inch model.
Flash modules for the 13-inch model are sourced from SanDisk and controlled by a Marvell chip, while the 15-inch version uses Samsung's memory and controller set. The vendor choice mirrors Apple's last update from October 2013.
OWC also went through the unboxing ritual and continued by removing the bottom covers of each laptop, revealing a familiar symmetrical component layout. From the looks of things, Apple has apparently left internal design largely unchanged, meaning the refresh consists mainly of CPU speed boosts and a new standard 16GB of RAM for the low-end 15-inch variant.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Killer Deal: Free Apple Magic Mouse 2 and 25-100% off AppleCare on all 2015 13" & 15" MacBooks Pros and 13" MacBook Airs
- Free Apple SuperDrive and 50% off AppleCare with 13" MacBook Pros & 13" MacBook Airs (2015 models)
- 10 Days Only: Free AppleCare & Free Apple SuperDrive with 15" MacBook Pros (Late 2015)
- Apple activates Quality Program for Retina MacBook Pro screen coating issue
- Apple fixes 2015 MacBook Pro flash storage issue in firmware update