Rumor: Next-gen iPad Air to debut in October, Retina iPad mini in early 2015A rumor out of East Asia on Monday claims mass production of Apple's "iPad Air 2" starts this month ahead of an October release, while the second-generation iPad mini with Retina display could be pushed back into 2015.
Citing sources familiar with the matter, Taiwan's Commercial Times reports Apple's iPad Air 2 is slated for release next month, but will not debut alongside a revamped iPad mini as some expected.
Instead of the usual two-device iPad launch, the publication claims Apple is looking to position the next-gen 7.9-inch iPad mini reveal for the first quarter of 2015. The timeline is a bit suspicious given Apple's most recent iPad release cycle, as well as informed reports pointing to a simultaneous release with the iPad Air 2.
Not much is known about the next-generation iPad Air, but the overall design is thought to remain largely unchanged based on supposed parts leaks. The second-gen version is thought to include Apple's Touch ID fingerprint recognition hardware, the new A8 system-on-chip and M8 motion coprocessor.
In addition to the iPad Air and iPad mini, the report goes on to say that a larger 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" will hit the production line sometime in quarter two, with a launch soon to follow. Apple has long been rumored to be working on a jumbo sized tablet and the most recent rumors are in line with an early 2015 debut.
On Topic: iPad
- Apple's Swift Playgrounds sandbox for programming education now available
- Failed iOS 10 installs force users to plug into iTunes for restoration of 'bricked' device [u]
- Apple launches iOS 10, tvOS 10 & watchOS 3
- The best features in iOS 10: Siri, Home, Messages, Notifications, Apple Music, more
- Apple requests wireless charging chip samples for upcoming iPhone product, report says