Rumor: Next-gen iPad Air to debut in October, Retina iPad mini in early 2015A rumor out of East Asia on Monday claims mass production of Apple's "iPad Air 2" starts this month ahead of an October release, while the second-generation iPad mini with Retina display could be pushed back into 2015.
Citing sources familiar with the matter, Taiwan's Commercial Times reports Apple's iPad Air 2 is slated for release next month, but will not debut alongside a revamped iPad mini as some expected.
Instead of the usual two-device iPad launch, the publication claims Apple is looking to position the next-gen 7.9-inch iPad mini reveal for the first quarter of 2015. The timeline is a bit suspicious given Apple's most recent iPad release cycle, as well as informed reports pointing to a simultaneous release with the iPad Air 2.
Not much is known about the next-generation iPad Air, but the overall design is thought to remain largely unchanged based on supposed parts leaks. The second-gen version is thought to include Apple's Touch ID fingerprint recognition hardware, the new A8 system-on-chip and M8 motion coprocessor.
In addition to the iPad Air and iPad mini, the report goes on to say that a larger 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" will hit the production line sometime in quarter two, with a launch soon to follow. Apple has long been rumored to be working on a jumbo sized tablet and the most recent rumors are in line with an early 2015 debut.
On Topic: iPad
- Winners of the WaterField Designs MacBook bag giveaway announced [Carl J. and Tyler D.]
- Adonit ships new Pixel stylus to compete with Apple Pencil
- IDC: $200-350 Chromebooks shipped 37% more U.S. units in Q1 vs Apple's $1,200 MacBooks
- Deals: iMac 5K for $1,499, 38mm "Apple Watch" for $399 plus free stand, iPad Air for $270
- Apple, Maine Department of Education working to swap 'toy' iPads for MacBooks