tvOS 9.2 beta 1 adds support for app folders, Bluetooth keyboardsThe upcoming tvOS 9.2 update for the fourth-generation Apple TV adds a number of new capabilities for the fresh platform, including the ability to stow apps in folders on the home screen, and to connect a Bluetooth keyboard for easier text entry.
The release notes for the first beta of tvOS 9.2 reveal that Bluetooth keyboard support is now baked into the operating system. tvOS 9.2 is currently available to developers for testing ahead of a public release.
The notes accompanying tvOS 9.2 also reveal that users will be able to group apps in folders on the home screen. Though the new Apple TV shipped without support for folders, developers found evidence in the tvOS code that app folders were in the works.
tvOS 9.2 also includes support for MapKit, allowing developers to utilize Apple's mapping tools for their third-party Apple TV apps.
Apple has also changed the user interface of its app switcher feature in tvOS 9.2. Users can invoke the app switcher by double-pressing the home button on the Siri remote.
With tvOS 9.2, Siri voice support has also been added for U.S. Spanish and French Canadian. In the U.K., Siri support for U.K. English, Australian English, and U.S. English are also available.
On Topic: Apple TV
- Apple TV, iPad utilized in conjunction for patient care at new San Diego hospital
- No native Spotify app for Apple TV 'any time soon,' company says
- Facebook adds Apple TV & Chromecast support to Web and iOS videos
- Channels streaming app updated to version 2.0, brings integrated programming listings to Apple TV
- iOS 10 tips: Rich notifications enable tvOS text entry from iPhone's lock screen