AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
The official WWDC app was updated on Friday with a new dark user interface, universal app support for tvOS, live streaming on iOS and tvOS, and support for multitasking on iOS 9 on iPad.
The WWDC app is a free download compatible with iOS, tvOS and Apple Watch. It requires iOS 9.3 or later and is an 18.1-megabyte download.
Version 5.0 features a new dark user interface, a contrast from the white background featured in the 2015 edition of the app. The icon has also been updated to feature a white Apple logo on a dark background.
The update allows users of the new fourth-generation Apple TV to stream and download videos from WWDC 2016, as well as previous conferences.
Apple's annual developers conference will kick off on June 13 with a keynote presentation, where the company is widely expected to introduce iOS 10, as well as the next generations of Mac OS, tvOS, and watchOS. While Apple undoubtedly has surprises in store, it is not expected that the company will introduce new hardware at this year's event, keeping it a software-focused developer show.
The full list of features in the WWDC 2016 app update, according to Apple, are:
- Watch live streamed sessions on iOS and tvOS.
- Stream or download WWDC videos from this year and previous years.
- Start watching on one iOS device, and pick up where you left off on another iOS device or on the new Apple TV.
- Browse times, locations, and descriptions for sessions, labs, and special events.
- Mark schedule items as favorites.
- Keep up with the latest news, get important notifications, and see new photos throughout each day.
- View accessible maps to find your way around Moscone West.
- Provide feedback on content and speakers for each session.