Apple News allows you to find stories tailored to your tastes and interests while also seeing what others are reading and trending. Here's how to share stories with others easily, plus how to personalize your news experiences within the application.
"We felt we could make a difference in the way news is experienced and understood," said Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple, at an Apple Event in March 2019. "A place where news would come from trusted sources and be curated by experts."
Here is how to share stories with others from within the News app and personalize the reading experience more towards what you want to see.
How to share stories
- Select the story you want to share
- Tap on the More Options button (the circle with three dots in it) located in the upper right of the screen
- Tap on Share Story
- Select the people or app you want to share the story with or through
If you send a story that is part of Apple News+ and the receiver is not a subscriber to the subscription, they will not be able to read the story you send them. They will get the header of the article, the publication it is coming from, and an advertisement to subscribe to Apple News+.
How to use Shared with You
In iOS 15, Apple introduced a new way of sharing with others from the Messages app called "Shared with You". This adds a section within your apps dedicated to the content shared with you from others that you can view later from the app you are in.
When tapping on the story that was shared with you, it will tell you who shared it on top of the article.
Tapping on the name of the person who sent you the article will bring you into Messages and start a new message with that person. The story they sent you will also be attached automatically to the message as well.
Shared with You is a great way to get back to the stories that you may have missed or weren't able to read at the time they were sent to you.
How to add different Channels and Topics to Apple News
To customize your reading experience, you can select which Topics you want to read about - which will present you stories about that topic from different publications - or you can add overall Channels (publications) to get all the stories from them.
- Open the Apple News app
- Go into the Search tab
- Type in the Channel or Topic you read about or read from
- Scroll down within the search results until you see the section for Topics and/or Channels
- Tap on the Plus icon next to the name of either of them to add them to your personalized tailored stories on the News home screen
- If you are adding a Channel, decide if you want to receive notifications or not from them when they publish stories
Channels and Topics that you add will show in the Today tab within the News app.
How to manage Apple News notifications
You can be notified when publications or Channels of your choice have posted, but you may want to turn off notifications if you receive too many of them from the publication. Here is how to manage your notifications within the News app.
- Open the News app
- Tap on any Channel or Topic you have in the Following tab
- Tap on the More Options button
- Tap on Manage Notifications
- From here, select which channels you follow or do not want to receive notifications from
- Toggle the switch ON to receive notifications or toggle the switch OFF to not get notifications from them
- Tap on Done in the upper right of the screen when you are done choosing which Channels you want to receive notifications from
You can edit your notification preferences for the Channels you follow at any time.
How to manage Publications in Apple News
If you are a subscriber of Apple News+, you can get access to more than 300 magazines that the subscription service offers. These titles are arranged in 19 categories as of October 2022.
You can go into the News+ tab within the News app and see all the publications that are available to choose from. The publications are separated into four categories:
- My Magazines
- Catalog You can download issues of magazines to read them offline when you like. When you download them, they will appear in the Downloaded tab. When you choose a publication to follow, you can choose to be notified when a new issue comes out. New issues will be added to your library automatically upon release. Notifications will be sent out to all of your iCloud-connected devices.
How to unsubscribe from publications in Apple News
- Tap on the three dots under one of the publication's issues from the publisher you want to unsubscribe from
- Tap on Unfollow Channel from the options menu that appears
- This will not add new issues to your library when they come out
Keep reading on
The Apple News app is a great way to consume news from multiple publications in one area. The application allows you to personalize your reading experience with the stories you want to see.
Sharing stories and the Shared with You tab allow you to take the experience of Apple News and share it with others. The Share with You tab makes sure you have all the stories shared with you in one place so you can access them easily at any moment.