Monday, February 25, 2013, 01:07 pm PT (04:07 pm ET)
iOS 6.1.2 already most popular version of Apple's iOS less than 1 week after launchLess than a week after it became available for download, iOS 6.1.2 is already the most popular version of iOS tracked by analytics firm Chitika.
The data comes from tens of millions of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch mobile ad impressions from the Chitika Ad Network. The data was collected from the U.S. and Canada between Feb. 19 and Feb. 24.
Just five days after iOS 6.1.2 was released to the public, 34.9 percent of iOS Web traffic tracked was generated by users of the latest iOS version. Domestically, iOS 6.1.2 has already surpassed iOS 6.1, making it the most popular version of the mobile operating system.
As iOS 6.1.2 grew after its debut, it corresponded almost directly to a drop in traffic from devices running iOS 6.1. The figures suggest that most users opt to stay up to date with the latest version of iOS on their device.
In fact, 48 hours after it launched, iOS 6.1.2 adoption was nearly equal that of iOS 6.0 in the same timeframe. Chitika noted that this is a "significant achievement," considering iOS 6.0 was a major release with new features, while iOS 6.1.2 was centered on bug fixes.
iOS 6.1.2 launched publicly last Tuesday. It addresses an Exchange calendar bug that could result in increased network activity and reduced battery life.
Apple is already at work on pushing out iOS 6.1.3, another incremental update that promises to fix a lockscreen bug, and also to improve the performance of its Maps application in Japan.
On Topic: iOS
- Adobe's Photoshop Mix for iPad gets extensibility, panoramic file support, more in update
- Apple imposes restrictions on HealthKit data sharing with ad platforms, others
- ESPN updates SportsCenter for iOS with new football features, Secret adds interactive questions
- Smash hit 'BioShock' comes to iPhone, iPad with iOS-specific controls
- Apple rolls out full-screen interstitial and pre-roll video iAds, expands to Russia and Switzerland