iOS 6.1.2 already most popular version of Apple's iOS less than 1 week after launchLess than a week after it became available for download, iOS 6.1.2 is already the most popular version of iOS tracked by analytics firm Chitika.
The data comes from tens of millions of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch mobile ad impressions from the Chitika Ad Network. The data was collected from the U.S. and Canada between Feb. 19 and Feb. 24.
Just five days after iOS 6.1.2 was released to the public, 34.9 percent of iOS Web traffic tracked was generated by users of the latest iOS version. Domestically, iOS 6.1.2 has already surpassed iOS 6.1, making it the most popular version of the mobile operating system.
As iOS 6.1.2 grew after its debut, it corresponded almost directly to a drop in traffic from devices running iOS 6.1. The figures suggest that most users opt to stay up to date with the latest version of iOS on their device.
In fact, 48 hours after it launched, iOS 6.1.2 adoption was nearly equal that of iOS 6.0 in the same timeframe. Chitika noted that this is a "significant achievement," considering iOS 6.0 was a major release with new features, while iOS 6.1.2 was centered on bug fixes.
iOS 6.1.2 launched publicly last Tuesday. It addresses an Exchange calendar bug that could result in increased network activity and reduced battery life.
Apple is already at work on pushing out iOS 6.1.3, another incremental update that promises to fix a lockscreen bug, and also to improve the performance of its Maps application in Japan.
On Topic: iOS
- Apple's HomeKit gets support from MediaTek via IoT chip SDKs aimed at appliances, small devices
- Apple stops iOS 8.4.1 and iOS 9.0 code signing as iOS 9.0.2 fixes lock screen exploit
- Apple issues third beta of iOS 9.1 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2 with fixes for cellular data, iMessage activation, Podcasts app stability, more
- Apple updates privacy minisite, says iOS 9 News personalization delinked from Apple ID