Friday, May 03, 2013, 04:44 pm PT (07:44 pm ET)
Video shows Berlin Apple Store opening to throngs of customersThe first Apple Store in Germany's capital of Berlin opened on Friday local time, as thousands of fans queued up to be one of the first get inside the company's latest flagship retail location.
AppleInsider reader Nico was there for the unveiling, and posted a couple videos to YouTube showing Apple Store employees filing into the new store before letting in the massive crowd awaiting entry outside.
Source: sushifornico's YouTube channel
Looking closely at the footage, it appears Apple was also recording the festivities and was set up near the store's entrance with what looks to be a "pro-am" Canon rig.
Besides the blaring music and ceremonial cheering from Apple staff, the Berlin outlet unsurprisingly looks to be much the same as the company's other stores worldwide. In keeping with Apple's strict aesthetic, display hardware is aligned on wooden tables in the center of the floor, with desktops flanking the walls, while accessories and peripherals are positioned to the rear.
As reported on Thursday, one of the location's highlights is a 360-degree Genius Bar, an interesting change from the single or double counter arrangement usually seen in Apple Stores.
The Berlin Apple Store is located in the city's most expensive shopping district of Kurfuerstendamm, drawing in locals and tourists alike. To handle the expectedly huge influx of customers, some 200 employees are on hand at the store, with 12 different languages spoken between them.
On Topic: General
- Apple opens iTunes donations for 'City of Hope' cancer charity, moves beyond natural disaster relief
- PayPal purportedly cut out of Apple Pay due to partnership with Samsung
- Pebble smartwatch gets $50 price cut, background tracking for fitness & sleep
- Microsoft looks to distance itself from Windows 8, jumps to Windows 10
- European Commission finds Ireland's tax deal with Apple amounts to illegal state aid