Apple logs 50 billionth App Store downloadLess than two weeks after Apple started counting down to 50 billion app downloads, the App Store on Wednesday reached the landmark number.
Apple gave word of the 50 billion downloads through its webpage, which displayed the above graphic in honor of the momentous event. The image shows an iPad mini with the word "Thanks" written in FiftyThree's popular Paper drawing app.
No details as to who downloaded the 50 billionth app, but that person will receive a $10,000 gift card to the App Store. In addition, Apple will award a $500 App Store gift card to the next 50 customers following the 50 billionth download.
The countdown to 50 billion ticker first launched on May 2, and was followed by a featured promotion on the company's homepage.
Since launching in 2008, the App Store has seen significant growth. Apple in April 2009 launched a countdown to 1 billion app downloads, which was followed by the 10 billionth download less than two years later 35 billion apps, meaning 15 billion apps have been downloaded in the past seven months alone.
On Topic: App Store
- Twitter for iOS gets 'Peek and Pop' 3D Touch gesture support, Google adds AMP integration
- Apple TV nets Bravo, E! and Syfy content with new tvOS apps
- Control your Bentley's seat massagers from your wrist with new Apple Watch app
- I/O 2016: Google Allo smart messenger and Duo video calling coming to iOS, Android this summer
- Adobe adds automatic pattern generation tool to Capture CC for iOS