Apple logs 50 billionth App Store downloadLess than two weeks after Apple started counting down to 50 billion app downloads, the App Store on Wednesday reached the landmark number.
Apple gave word of the 50 billion downloads through its webpage, which displayed the above graphic in honor of the momentous event. The image shows an iPad mini with the word "Thanks" written in FiftyThree's popular Paper drawing app.
No details as to who downloaded the 50 billionth app, but that person will receive a $10,000 gift card to the App Store. In addition, Apple will award a $500 App Store gift card to the next 50 customers following the 50 billionth download.
The countdown to 50 billion ticker first launched on May 2, and was followed by a featured promotion on the company's homepage.
Since launching in 2008, the App Store has seen significant growth. Apple in April 2009 launched a countdown to 1 billion app downloads, which was followed by the 10 billionth download less than two years later 35 billion apps, meaning 15 billion apps have been downloaded in the past seven months alone.
On Topic: App Store
- Vine launches on Apple Watch, adds new content discovery features for iPhone
- Poll: What is your favorite iOS note taking app?
- Apple's online store services, Maps suffer widespread outage
- Five new Apple TV ads highlight games and content from tvOS App Store
- Apple updates App Store search engine algorithms, results go beyond metadata