Thursday, June 27, 2013, 01:47 pm PT (04:47 pm ET)
RadioShack to reportedly start sales of Virgin's no-contract iPhone 5 on FridayRadioShack will be one of the first Virgin Mobile resellers to carry the telecom's no-contract iPhone 5, and one report claims sales of the handset will start as soon as Friday.
While Virgin's June 28 launch of the iPhone 5 was already announced last week, the company did not specify which retail outlets would be participating in the rollout. RadioShack is now believed to be among the first resellers, reports MacRumors, and will be selling the handset from Friday.
Along with Verizon, AT&T and Sprint, RadioShack already carries iPhone models running on Virgin's network, including the iPhone 4 and 4S. Virgin looks to set itself apart from the nation's top three mobile carriers by offering Apple's handset without a service contract.
On launch, Virgin will be carrying all three iPhone 5 versions with its "Beyond Talk" plans, which can be purchased for as little as $30 per month. The base model 16GB iPhone 5 comes in at $549.99, while the 32GB and 64GB models will sell for $649.99 and $749.99, respectively. Virgin's iPhone 5 units come at a savings of $100 compared to Apple's own pricing.
As for the telecom's Beyond Talk plan, the $35 monthly rate includes 2.5GB of 3G and 4G data and 300 anytime minutes. Data speeds are throttled once the specified allotment is reached.
Virgin also offers a $5-per-month discount if customers opt in to automatic monthly payments with a credit card, debit card, or PayPal account.
On Topic: iPhone
- Despite faster A8, higher pixel count of iPhone 6 Plus drives lower FPS benchmarks
- Apple's iPhone 6 to arrive in China on Oct. 17 after receiving regulatory license [u]
- Going big: a review of Apple's new 4.7" iPhone 6 vs. the 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple expected to begin selling iPhone 6 in China on October 10
- Adapting to change: a review of Apple's larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 vs. the smaller 4-inch iPhone 5s