Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 12:23 pm PT (03:23 pm ET)
Amazon's anticipated Apple TV competitor not expected to launch until 2014Amazon is still said to be working on a competitor to the Apple TV with its own set-top box, but such a device isn't expected to be out before Christmas, with the retailer reportedly eyeing a spring 2014 launch for the rumored device.
Though Amazon was originally thought to have been preparing the device to launch this year ahead of Christmas, it has seen internal delays at the company, according to AllThingsD. It's now expected to launch in the first half of next year.
Reporter Peter Kafka said he heard a few "theories" about why the device won't be coming out this year, including allegations that Amazon isn't happy with its performance, and that management at the company is "underwhelmed" with the product's ability to stand out from current options.
Word of the rumored device, said to be code-named "Cinnamon," first leaked earlier this month. It's said that the set-top box has been in development since at least April of this year.
Amazon's device is rumored to do the typical tasks, such as streaming movies, TV shows and music. But in addition, it was said that the Seattle-based company is in negotiations with cable companies and other content providers to build apps for the device.
Details on Amazon's apparent interest in the living room come as Apple is rumored to be cooking up its own hardware refresh for the Apple TV. The last time Apple updated its living room hardware was in March 2012, though a number of subsequent software updates have added new features and channels.
On Topic: Amazon
- Black Friday software and the lowest prices ever on Dragon Dictate 3 and Micro Drone 2.0
- Amazon's Black Friday deals kick off today, with new bargains every 10 minutes throughout the week
- Apple's iOS App Store still handily trumps Google & Amazon offerings in new analysis
- Amazon planning 2014 smartphone with advanced 3D gesture & eye tracking input - source
- Amazon's anticipated Apple TV competitor not expected to launch until 2014