Monday, January 06, 2014, 12:55 am PT (03:55 am ET)
Apple concludes '12 Days of Gifts' with Rolling Stones mini albumFor its final freebie of this year's "12 Days of Gift" promotion, Apple gave users a mini album of three songs from The Rolling Stones' concert film "Sweet Summer Sun — Hyde Park Live," which was recorded in 2013.
The trifecta of tunes includes "Tumbling Dice," "Doom & Gloom" and the newly added "Beast of Burden," each performed live during the Stones' 2013 concert series in London's Hyde Park.
While not labeled a soundtrack, the album's cuts are taken from the band's live two-concert performance, which was filmed and subsequently released as a movie last year.
"Sweet Summer Sun" officially brings Apple's "12 Days of Gifts" promotion to a close. For 2013, users in the U.S., Europe and Canada were offered songs, apps, movies, e-books and more through the 12 Days of Gifts iOS app.
An annual holiday tradition, the "12 Days" digital content giveaway was previously restricted to parts of Europe and Canada. This year, however, Apple extended the promotion to U.S. customers for the first time.
After releasing Lorde's latest single as a teaser gift in mid-December, Apple kicked off "12 Days of Gifts" with a collection of Justin Timberlake tracks recorded live from this year's iTunes Festival in London.
Those interested in picking up "Sweet Summer Sun — Hyde Park Live" can do so via the free 12 Days of Gifts app or directly from the iTunes Store. As with the previous 12 gifts, Monday's release will be available for the next 24 hours.
On Topic: App Store
- iTunes Software and Services fastest growing Apple business segment this year
- Flir One case turns Apple's iPhone into a high-end thermal imaging camera
- European Commission chides Apple for not improving game in-app purchase policies
- First look: Using Passbook at an Apple Store to buy iTunes & App Store credit
- Google Analytics gets dedicated iOS app, Facebook adds celebrity-focused Mentions app