Monday, April 14, 2014, 01:37 pm PT (04:37 pm ET)
Apple's CarPlay reportedly coming to aftermarket Alpine stereo systemsConsumers looking for a way to take advantage of Apple's new CarPlay infotainment offering without buying a new vehicle may soon be able to do so, as aftermarket manufacturer Alpine is said to preparing a CarPlay-compatible receiver for release later this year.
Alpine will reportedly begin shipping the units in the U.S. and Europe for $500 to $700 this fall. Word of the product was first reported by Japanese financial news service Nikkei Asian Review.
The new stereo is thought to sport a seven inch diagonal touchscreen and support for CarPlay's Siri-powered voice commands. Alpine is making the move quickly, Nikkei believes, to secure first-mover advantage and the financial boost that goes with it.
After Apple introduced CarPlay earlier this year, it appeared that chances for its appearances in the aftermarket were slim. A Kenwood representative told AppleInsider that the system would not appear in any 2014 products from the company, while a Pioneer spokesperson denied earlier rumors pointing to an offering of its own.
If true, an aftermarket option would likely come as a relief to consumers and significantly boost CarPlay adoption. The system is currently only available in upcoming vehicles from luxury brands Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, and Ferrari, though compatible models from BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar, Land Rover, Kia, Mitsubishi, Nissan, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota are also expected.
On Topic: iOS
- Apple to require 64-bit support from all iOS apps starting in February
- Apple Pay is online, too: Apple Store, others apps accept Touch ID for authorizing purchases
- How to set up Apple Pay on an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus running iOS 8.1, and where you can use it right now
- Apple releases iOS 8.1 with Apple Pay support for iPhone 6 & 6 Plus, SMS relay, iCloud Photo Library
- Dropbox update adds support for Touch ID login, larger iPhone 6 & 6 Plus screens