Monday, June 30, 2014, 10:08 am PT (01:08 pm ET)
Apple releases iOS 7.1.2 with fixes for iBeacon, Mail, and accessory connectivityApple on Monday pushed an over-the-air update to its iOS mobile operating system, bringing fixes that enhance iBeacon connectivity and stability while correcting problems with Mail attachment data protection and data transfer to third-party accessories.
According to Apple's release notes, iOS 7.1.2 addresses issues that may crop up when using third-party accessories such as barcode scanners that connect to an iPhone or iPad. In addition to the iBeacon fixes, it also corrects an problem with the data protection class designations of some Mail attachments.
iOS 7.1.2 comes just over two months after the release of iOS 7.1.1, which brought improvements to Touch ID and keyboard responsiveness. it is not clear how many more maintenance updates Apple plans to provide before the launch of iOS 8, which is widely expected to drop alongside the next-generation iPhone this fall.
The update, which comes in as a 23.1-megabyte delta when applied via iOS's over-the-air update mechanism, also contains miscellaneous bug fixes and security updates.
Apple also updated the Apple TV to version 6.2 but was mum on the included changes.
On Topic: iOS
- Adobe's Photoshop Mix for iPad gets extensibility, panoramic file support, more in update
- Apple imposes restrictions on HealthKit data sharing with ad platforms, others
- ESPN updates SportsCenter for iOS with new football features, Secret adds interactive questions
- Smash hit 'BioShock' comes to iPhone, iPad with iOS-specific controls
- Apple rolls out full-screen interstitial and pre-roll video iAds, expands to Russia and Switzerland