Apple adds new 'Tips' tutorials app in iOS 8 Beta 4Consumers new to iOS —as well as novice users or those who do not closely follow Apple updates —have a new learning resource in Apple's new "Tips" app, added to iOS 8 in the mobile operating system's fourth beta.
As its name implies, Tips provides with users short instructions on how to use hidden, or simply less well-known, features in iOS Apple says that new tips will be added every week.
Topics covered in the first round of tips include "Quickly respond to a notification," "Notify me when there's a reply," "Hey, Siri," "Send a spoken message," "Quickly manage your mail," "Be in the shot," and "Come back soon."
Each tip is short, providing a screenshot and a one- to two-sentence explanation of how to use the feature. "Be in the shot," for instance, instructs users thusly:
Use the shutter timer to include yourself in your photos. Frame your shot, tap [the timer button] and the number of seconds, then tap the shutter button. Now jump into the picture!
The Tips app was first outed in screenshots that surfaced in March, though accompanying apps —iOS versions of Preview and TextEdit —have yet to appear. Many believe that if those apps were indeed legitimate, they were likely designed to test the functionality of Apple's new iCloud Drive.
On Topic: iOS
- Apple posts Apple Pay support page on German website, suggests impending launch
- Japan Apple Pay launch marred by apparent system overload
- Google Maps gets food delivery, plus code integration in update
- Apple releases final version of iOS 10.1 with Portrait mode for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mirai-based DDoS attack highlights benefits of Apple's secure HomeKit platform