WWDC preview, Apple search engine rumor, and iPad wireless charging on the AppleInsider podcast
AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
We preview just what to expect — and not expect — during the WWDC Keynote on June 6, plus the possibility of Apple building a first-party search engine, wireless charging coming to iPad, and Apple TV vs. Google TV, all on the new AppleInsider podcast.
Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference keynote will be at 10 a.m. Pacific, on Monday, June 6. Despite rumors leading up to the event that Apple would debut a VR or mixed reality headset, analysts now doubt it will make an appearance. However, a recent trademark filing for "realityOS" means we could perhaps see some software announcement at WWDC even if Apple doesn't release hardware.
As for what Apple will unveil, we break down everything to expect, including of course iOS and iPadOS, which may feature updates to widgets and multitasking. We're hoping for HomeKit improvements, and listeners have some excellent suggestions for new software features.
Apple could conceivably also release new Mac hardware at the event, with the M2 MacBook Air and the long-awaited Apple Silicon Mac Pro being possible.
That said, tvOS is definitely due for refinement, as navigation on Apple TV can still be cumbersome. This seems extra relevant right now, both as we head toward WWDC, and because a new Google TV app for iOS has launched.
We compare that to Apple's offering and offer suggestions to streamline the UI. Finally, we touch on a recurring rumor of Apple's work on a search engine, plus the benefits iPad wireless charging could bring.
Contact our hosts
- Send tips on Signal: +1 863-703-0668
- @stephenrobles on Twitter
- @WGallagher on Twitter
- Incogni: The first 100 people to use promo code APPLEINSIDER or go to the link incogni.com/appleinsider will get 20% off Incogni!
- VogDuo 3-in-1 Charger: Get $20 off their portable 3-in-1 leather MagSafe charger when you use promo code AI20. Click here to learn more.
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- NinjaOne | Remote Monitoring and Management Software
- Wi-Fi network roaming with 802.11k, 802.11r
- Google TV app launches on iOS as another hub for your streaming services - The Verge
- This iPad Mini 6 case offers MagSafe-like charging capability - The Verge
- MagFlott Premium Magnetic Stand for iPad Pro
- Rumor that Apple will launch a web search engine pops up again
- Analyst doubts Apple will reveal AR headset at WWDC
- What to expect from WWDC 2022 - and what not to
- Everything we know about the redesigned MacBook Air with M2 processor
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.
Podcast artwork from Basic Apple Guy. Download the free wallpaper pack here.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.