Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 10:14 am PT (01:14 pm ET)
Apple releases Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with Facebook integrationOn the heels of the release of iOS 6, Apple has also publicly issued OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2, a major update featuring system-wide Facebook integration for the Mac.
With OS X 10.8.2, users can sign on in one place for Facebook, and Facebook will appear as an option when sharing links and photos. In addition, Facebook friends' contact information and profile pictures will appear in Contacts, and notifications from the social networking site will appear in Notification Center.
OS X 10.8.2 is available as a free update for Mountain Lion owners through the Mac App Store. A restart is required once the software has been installed.
Other features of OS X 10.8.2 highlighted by Apple are:
- Share scores to Facebook, Twitter, Mail or Messages
- Facebook friends are included in Game Center friend recommendations
- Facebook Like button for games
- Challenge friends to beat your score or achievement
Other new features
- Power Nap support for MacBook Air (Late 2010)
- iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac
- From Safari and Mail on your Mac you can add passes to Passbook on your iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 6
- New shared Reminders lists
- FaceTime now receives calls sent to your phone number
- New sort options allow you to sort notes by title, the date you edited them, and when you created them
- Dictation now supports Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Canadian, English, Canadian French, and Italian.
- The Dictionary application now includes a French definition dictionary
- Sina Weibo profile photos can now be added to contacts
In addition, OS X 10.8.2 also includes general operating system fixes that improve the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac. Fixes include:
- An option to discard the changes in the original document when choosing Save As
- Unsent drafts are opened automatically when launching Mail
- Receive Twitter notifications for mentions and replies from anyone
- URLs are shortened when sending tweets from Notification Center
- Notifications are disabled when AirPlay Mirroring is being used
- SSL support for Google searches from the Smart Search Field in Safari
- New preference to have Safari launch with previously open webpages
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Apple seeds OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks beta to developers
- FileMaker 13 launches with browser-based support via HTML5, new tools for iPhone & iPad
- Microsoft's project 'Threshold' to further converge PC, phone & Xbox platforms
- Black Friday software and the lowest prices ever on Dragon Dictate 3 and Micro Drone 2.0
- Product (RED) Mac Pro auction brings in $977,000; gold EarPods sold for $461,000