Monday, February 11, 2013, 04:11 pm PT (07:11 pm ET)
Apple's iTunes & accessory sales now greater than every other phone vendor but SamsungHaving recategorized its reported revenues to highlight accessory sales and iTunes content, apps, software and services (exclusive of major hardware sales), it's now apparent that Apple's "other" business is not just bigger than iPod, but also, by itself, greater than the revenues of any other phone vendor apart from Samsung.
iTunes alone billions bigger than iPod, Xbox
AppleInsider previously noted that Apple is now collecting twice as much from iTunes, software & services as from iPod sales.
It further noted that Apple's "other" businesses are now roughly equal to Microsoft's revenues from its Windows or Business (Office, SharePoint and Exchange) Divisions, and more than a billion dollars greater than Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division (which sells the Xbox, Windows Phone and related products and accessories).
Apple's "other" bigger than the third place phone vendors
A detailing of Apple's "other" revenues by Asymco notes another eye-opening statistic: Apple's iTunes and Accessory revenues have now passed the revenues of any other phone maker outside of Samsung.
Apple's "everything else" categories (apart from iPhone, iPad, iPod and Mac sales) are now bigger than the company's Mac businessApple's "other revenues" surpassed the total phone revenues of Nokia in the fourth quarter, but have have outstripped the total phone revenues of Google's Motorola, Sony, LG, RIM or HTC for every quarter in 2012, a trend that is continuing in Apple's favor.
Additionally, Asymco points out that Apple's "everything else" categories (apart from iPhone, iPad, iPod and Mac sales) are now bigger than the company's Mac business. The company's iTunes revenue alone (not counting accessory sales) is on track to become bigger than the Mac later this year.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple Inc's new Swift language a "huge leap forward for iOS ecosystem," offers "enormous opportunity" with IBM in enterprise
- iTunes Software and Services fastest growing Apple business segment this year
- Apple releases iTunes 12 beta with 'elegant new design,' Family Sharing
- Apple's 2014 iTunes Festival in London to feature Maroon 5, Beck, Blondie, more
- Apple responds to EC complaints by touting iTunes' app controls as 'leading the industry,' cites iOS 8 "Ask To Buy" feature