New York Magazine to launch new subscription-based iPad app in AprilNew York magazine will this month reveal a new subscription-based version of its publication for Apple's iPad, with plans to roll the app out by early April.
Capital New York reported on Friday that it had confirmed with a New York Magazine spokesperson that the upcoming app was close to an unveiling, but was not yet ready for rollout. The publication said that Michael Silberman, general manager of nymag.com, will reveal the new app at an Association of Magazine Media conference at the Grand Hyatt in Midtown Manhattan on March 28.
New York plans to have the iPad version of its magazine available to subscribers some time in April.
The new version is said to come with significant improvements over the magazine's current iPad app, which originally launched in 2010. That version, currently available in the App Store, is simply a digital reproduction of the physical magazine which does not take advantage of the features available in comparable apps. The forthcoming iteration will feature "interactive capabilities, distinctive features and unique design that set a new bar in the drive to respond to the rapidly changing media consumption habits of readers," says a description of the app's March launch event.
Publications have a mixed record on Apple's iPad. Some have had considerable success with placement on Apple's Newsstand, but others have fared much more poorly.
On Topic: iPad
- Apple SIM goes global: GigSky brings iPad data plans to more than 90 countries & territories
- iTunes U update allows homework submissions, outside app integration [u]
- New York school district converts 75% of its curriculum to Apple's iPad
- First-gen iPad mini vanishes from Apple's store, leaving only Retina models
- iOS 9 code suggests 2,732-by-2,048-pixel display for 12.9-inch 'iPad Pro'