Steve Jobs satirical biopic starring Justin Long from 'Mac vs. PC' ads to debut in AprilWeb comedy site Funny or Die recently announced that it will be releasing a "iSteve," a 60- to 75-minute parody-style biopic centering around Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, with Justin Long taking on the title role.
With an online release date slated for April 15, the "biopic poking fun at biopics" is Funny or Die's longest project to date, reports The New York Times, and will be the first of three movies about the tech guru to see wide release. It was announced last week that the Ashton Kutcher vehicle "Jobs" had been pushed back, while a big-budget Aaron Sorkin film isn't scheduled for completion for years.
We might not be the best, but we will be the first, said Ryan Perez, writer and director of iSteve.
While taking jabs at Jobs, even lightheartedly, may cause some diehard fans to cringe, the short movie's producer Allison Hord said the tone was such that even the harshest fanboy critics will be able to laugh with us.
Starring in "iSteve" is Justin Long, a veteran of the big screen and former ad-man for Apple's "Mac vs. PC" campaign. James Urbaniak is said to play Bill Gates, while Michaela Watkins takes on the role of Melinda Gates. Playing Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak is Jorge Garcia of "Lost" fame.
As is the case with most Funny or Die projects, "iSteve" is not meant to be a serious biographical work.
In true Internet fashion, its not based on very thorough research essentially a cursory look at the Steve Jobs Wikipedia page, Perez said. Its very silly. But it looks at his whole life.
On Topic: General
- New $1.4B Japan Display plant slated to open in 2016, likely dedicated to Apple
- Apple, Google, hundreds of other US companies file court brief in support of same-sex marriage
- AppleInsider podcast discusses Apple's presence in China, Samsung Galaxy S6, mobile payment news, more
- Apple to reportedly bolster iAd user targeting with phone numbers and emails
- Apple researching device waterproofing via vapor deposition, silicone seals