Monday, June 10, 2013, 11:52 am PT (02:52 pm ET)
Siri gains new voice & gender options, system controls, enhanced car support in iOS 7Apple's personal assistant Siri will get a major overhaul in iOS 7, including a new voice, new appearance, and numerous new features.
With Siri in iOS 7, the default voice has been changed to be less robotic-sounding. Users will also have the option for a male voice, and in multiple languages.
Siri also gains the ability to control more features on the iPhone. Sample functions include playing voicemails, adjusting brightness, and reading content from Twitter or Wikipedia.
Users will also be able to obtain Web search results acquired from Bing, and photos can even be searched by voice.
Apple is also expanding Siri Eyes Free support, giving users the ability to display content on an external screen in their vehicle, including Maps. A list of major car manufacturers was shown that have plans to support the new feature in iOS 7. They are:
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple opens Touch ID to third-party applications with iOS 8
- Despite record output, Foxconn unable to keep up with massive iPhone 6 demand
- Review roundup: Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8
- Apple's new Watch, Apple Pay and iPhone 6 met with nervous mocking by competitors
- Apple details content migration from Android to iOS in new support document