Monday, June 10, 2013, 11:52 am PT (02:52 pm ET)
Siri gains new voice & gender options, system controls, enhanced car support in iOS 7Apple's personal assistant Siri will get a major overhaul in iOS 7, including a new voice, new appearance, and numerous new features.
With Siri in iOS 7, the default voice has been changed to be less robotic-sounding. Users will also have the option for a male voice, and in multiple languages.
Siri also gains the ability to control more features on the iPhone. Sample functions include playing voicemails, adjusting brightness, and reading content from Twitter or Wikipedia.
Users will also be able to obtain Web search results acquired from Bing, and photos can even be searched by voice.
Apple is also expanding Siri Eyes Free support, giving users the ability to display content on an external screen in their vehicle, including Maps. A list of major car manufacturers was shown that have plans to support the new feature in iOS 7. They are:
On Topic: iPhone
- Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant
- Russia's Megafon deal with Apple, Inc. guarantees sales of 750k iPhones over 3 years
- Pebble adds eBay, Evernote & Time Warner as latest smart watch app partners
- Apple continues to add share in U.S. smartphone market, now holds 42%
- iPhones much more likely to be stolen, less likely to be broken or need replacement