Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 05:49 pm PT (08:49 pm ET)
Apple reportedly expanding in Sunnyvale, Calif. with seven-building campusA report on Wednesday claims Apple has agreed to lease a new campus in Sunnyvale that boasts a total of seven buildings, further expanding the company's operations beyond Cupertino and into surrounding areas.
View of Apple's reported Sunnyvale campus. | Source: San Jose Mercury News
Citing city documents and sources with knowledge of the matter, the San Jose Mercury News reports Apple's supposed agreement involves Sunnyvale Crossing, a 290,000-square-foot complex purchased and subsequently renovated into prime office space by real estate firm Lane Partners.
According to city planning documents, building permit applications for interior improvements have been taken out for all seven buildings on the site with Apple listed as a tenant in one 69,000-square-foot structure. Sources say the company is planning to take over all seven buildings, which are estimated to support 1,450 employees.
Word of the lease comes as Apple continues to build its gigantic Campus 2 headquarters in Cupertino, sometimes referred to as a "spaceship" due to its circular design. Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company plans to move into the new headquarters in 2016.
Apple has been expanding beyond Cupertino for years, with another large Sunnyvale lease signed in 2012 for a four-building campus accommodating 1,300 employees. Also in 2012, the company started construction of a campus in Santa Clara that will house 1,200 workers in a six-story building. Construction of the project was slated for completion this year.
On Topic: General
- Apple CEO Tim Cook says privacy talks with Chinese government were 'very open'
- Former Apple exec Ron Johnson wants to make online shopping personal with new startup 'Enjoy'
- Apple says its 'ambitious' sapphire manufacturing process is 'not ready for production'
- GT Advanced to exit sapphire production business, Apple to recover $439M prepayment over 4 years
- Christian Bale confirmed to play Steve Jobs in upcoming biopic, to start shooting soon