Apple releases Mac OSX 10.5.8 update
The latest update to Leopard includes security fixes, improves Bluetooth reliability, and upgrades Safari to version 4.0.2. It is available for Mac users via software update, or a 274MB file for download from Apple. The combo update is also available at 759MB.
"The Mac OS X v10.5.8 Update is recommended for Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard users and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac," reads an Apple statement.
Also released Wednesday were Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 (274MB), Security Update 2009-003 for Tiger on Power PC (76MB), Security Update 2009-003 for Server Tiger on Power PC (130MB), Security Update 2009-003 for Server Tiger Universal (204MB), and Security Update 2009-003 for Tiger on Intel 166MB.
Mac OS X 10.5.8
The list of fixes for Leopard are as follows:
- Upgrades Safari to version 4.0.2.
- Improves the accuracy of full history search in Safari 4.
- Resolves an issue in which certain resolutions might not appear in the Display pane in System Preferences.
- Dragging an Aperture image into Automator now invokes an Aperture action instead of incorrectly invoking an iPhoto action.
- Resolves an issue that could prevent importing of large photo and movie files from digital cameras.
- Improves overall Bluetooth reliability with external devices, USB webcams and printers.
- Addresses an issue that could cause extended startup times.
- Improves iCal reliability with MobileMe Sync and CalDav.
- Addresses data reliability issues with iDisk and MobileMe.
- Improves overall reliability with AFP.
- Improves overall reliability with Managed Client.
- Improves compatibility and reliability for joining AirPort networks.
- Improves Sync Service reliability.
- Includes additional RAW image support for several third-party cameras.
- Improves compatibility with some external USB hard drives.
- Includes latest security fixes.
Last week, developers were supplied with build 9L30 of the beta. It featured only minor fixes, suggesting the release of 10.5.8 was imminent.
Mac OS X Server 10.5.8
The update for Server includes the following fixes:
- AFP Server
- Fixes an issue that could cause the AppleFileServer process to keep the server's processor busy even when no users are connected. AFP Client
- Fixes an issue that could cause an AFP client to indefinitely repeat unsuccessful attempts to reconnect to an AFP server after waking from sleep. Managed Client
- Fixes an issue that could prevent managed users from logging in on a PowerPC-based Mac after installing the Mac OS X v10.5.7 Update.
- Improves reliability of synchronizing files from a portable home directory to a network home hosted on an SMB server.
- Login Items stored in a user's network home directory will now run properly at login.
- Simultaneous login is now correctly disallowed if the "Allow simultaneous login" setting is unchecked. Server Admin
- Fixes an issue that could cause Server Admin to stop responding when propagating permissions.
- Adds NetBoot/NetInstall model filters for Macs introduced in June 2009. System Image Utility
- Adds NetBoot/NetInstall model filters for Macs introduced in June 2009. Additional improvements
- Improves Mac OS X Server security. For more information about the security content of Mac OS X Server v10.5.8 see this article.
- Mac OS X Server v10.5.8 also includes all other improvements delivered in the client Mac OS X 10.5.8 Update.