AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
On this week's episode of the AppleInsider podcast, your hosts discuss Apple CEO Tim Cook's wide-ranging interview, the opening of Find My to third-party accessories, and the arrival of classic games on Apple Arcade.
Tim Cook appeared on the "Sway" podcast with Kara Swisher to discuss privacy, curation and more. Cook explained that giving users the ability to sideload apps on iOS would be a privacy and security risk. And now as the Apple versus Epic lawsuit heats up, that question of sideloading and third-party app stores on iOS is going to be disputed in court.
Swisher then asks about Apple AR augmented-reality pursuits at Apple. While Cook does not reveal any future platform or products, he admits that AR could bring many benefits such as making "conversations better" with accompanying virtual charts and graphs.
Cook also states he will most likely step down as CEO within the next ten years. We speculate on the possible choices within Apple's ranks, such as Craig Federighi and Greg Joswiak, and also the possibility of an outsider becoming the next CEO.
Next, in a press release Apple announced support for third-party devices on its Find My platform. Among the products mentioned, Apple featured the Chipolo location tracker which seems to resemble the functionality of the supposed "AirTags".
Apple Arcade gets a boost in games with brand-new releases, including the anticipated game from "Final Fantasy" creator Hironobu Sakaguchi, "Fantasian." In addition to the 30 extra games just launched, Apple lists new "Timeless Classics" and "App Store Greats" categories that include older games such as "Cut the Rope" and "Threes."
We end the show with a lightning round of news including LG quitting the smartphone business, T-Mobile launching 5G home internet for $60 per month, Google I/O now being set for May 18, plus we add to our WWDC wishlist.
If you have questions or comments on the show, tweet at @stephenrobles and @Hillitech, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts .
Do you host a podcast discussing technology or Apple devices and would like an AppleInsider staffer to appear as a guest? Let us know by sending a message to: [email protected] and we'll be in touch!
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
- ExpressVPN: AppleInsider listeners can get three extra months when you sign up for a year of service! Get the most secure and fastest VPN service today by visiting: expressvpn.com/appleinsider
- StartMail: Start securing your email privacy with StartMail. Sign up today and get 50% off your first year! Visit startmail.com/ai to learn more.
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Links from the show
- Sway: Is Apple's Privacy Push Facebook's Existential Threat? on Apple Podcasts
- Creative Selection, book by Ken Kocienda
- Tim Cook 'probably' leaving Apple in next ten years
- Another $1 million scam app surfaces amid App Store legal battles
- Tim Cook talks Parler, politics, Tesla, privacy, and Apple in AR in wide-ranging interview
- The frontrunners for next Apple CEO: Speculating on Tim Cook's successor
- Tim Cook says Apple wants to use AR to make conversations better
- Apple's Find My network now offers new third-party finding experiences
- Find your keys, wallet or anything you don't want to lose - Chipolo
- Apple debuts Find My network for third-party accessories
- Leaked images of revamped iPad Pro and iPad mini show few changes
- Apple MacBook and iPad production may be delayed over global chip shortage
- Apple Arcade adds new 'Timeless Classics' and 'App Store Greats' categories
- Only 36% of Apple Podcasts' 2M titles have 10 or more episodes
- Intel uses MacBook Pro to promote its chips after attacking Apple
- LG quits the 'incredibly competitive' smartphone business
- Google I/O 2021 set for May 18 through May 20, free for the first time
- T-Mobile launches unlimited 5G Home Internet service
- Watchsmith 2.0
- Apple Original podcast 'The Line' launches ahead of Apple TV+ documentary
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.