Apple just released the iOS 12 GM, here's everything you need to know
Following Apple's "Gather Round" event, the company released the Gold Master of iOS 12 to beta testers ahead of public release. Here's everything that changed.
This year, Apple had an unusually thorough beta period, issuing more evaluation versions than ever before. This comprehensive process has yielded a very stable and speedy iOS 12 GM.
After running a few Geekbench trials, the tests reveal largely the same improvements to performance we saw in the late stages of the beta process.
In the past, Apple has included new wallpapers in the GM, almost like an unspoken yearly tradition. The iOS 12 release bucks that trend, with no new wallpapers to be found. Those looking for the new images splashed on the iPhone XS and iPhone XR will need to look elsewhere, as the wallpapers appear to be exclusive to those phones.
While iOS 12 won't be officially released to the masses until Sept. 17, anyone is able to upgrade to the GM now by signing up for Apple's Public Beta program. Going to beta.apple.com from your device and signing up will allow you to upgrade to the beta now, rather than waiting on the public release next week.
As we wait for the full release of iOS 12, check out all of AppleInsider's features on the biggest changes coming with this major update for iPhone and iPad.
- Everything new with Photos in iOS 12
- Everything new with the Siri in iOS 12
- Everything new with the Camera in iOS 12
- Everything new with Notifications in iOS 12
- Everything new with Messages in iOS 12
- How to share photos in Messages in iOS 12
- Use Siri Suggestions with Do Not Disturb mode in iOS 12
- Create your own Siri Shortcuts in iOS 12
- How to use Continuity Camera with macOS Mojave and iOS 12
- All the new HomeKit features in iOS 12
- All the iPad-specific features in iOS 12
- How to use iOS 12's new AR Measure app
- How to use Screen Time in iOS 12
- Create your own MeMoji in iOS 12