Amazon buys Eero, March 25 for 'Apple News Magazines,' and more on the AppleInsider Podcast
This week on the AppleInsider Podcast, Victor and William talk about digital data security and how protecting your privacy is getting harder, and whether or not it makes sense for Apple to start making their own Wi-Fi routers again.
There's more news out about companies abusing Apple's Enterprise Certificate program which is only meant to be for companies to distribute their own internal apps to employees. TechCrunch has found that a number of adult content and gambling apps are using this ability and, what's much more, are faking their way into Apple's program by using the details of legitimate businesses. Once they're signed up to the program, they've been using the facility to distribute apps that Apple would never allow in the App Store and we've even seen it used to distribute movies or other copyright-violating material.
Apple has a problem. They have to figure out how to audit this and shut it down without blocking the legitimate businesses whose details have been used.
- The popular Wi-Fi mesh router system Eero has been bought by Amazon. This also has security implications, although Amazon claims nothing will change. William wants Apple to bring back AirPort but Victor thinks there's an easier, faster solution: what if Apple makes a VPN to secure user info on Wi-Fi and mobile?
- Apple has informed developers that they're going to have to use two-factor authentication on the accounts they use to sign in on the Apple Developer Program. This has some developers quite upset, believing it to be impractical but while a chore at first, it's less of a deal than expected and Victor explains why.
- Meanwhile, Apple News is going to undergo a change - Apple has been out signing up publishers with a 50% revenue split deal. Nothing has been announced yet, but there is the March 25th event coming up.
- Speaking of the event, rumor has it that the long-awaited TV service could also be announced. What if that makes this an Apple event with no hardware at all?
We like reader email — send us your comments and concerns!.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Porn and gambling apps abuse Apple's Enterprise Certificates process to avoid App Store rules
- Apple Enterprise Certificates leveraged to distribute hacked versions of popular apps
- Amazon's eero buy is the clearest sign yet that Apple should revive the AirPort
- Amazon acquires mesh Wi-Fi router startup eero as part of smart home push
- Apple signed 'many' publishers for subscription service at 50 percent revenue split, report says
- Apple to reportedly unveil video service at star-studded March 25 event
- Apple looking at April launch of video streaming service
- Apple to require two-factor authentication for developer accounts
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].