If you only listen to one podcast, listen to this week's AppleInsider Podcast. But, if you listen to two, you've got to check out the show that uses AI to make it sound as if Steve Jobs is alive again.
After all the launches, pre-orders and finally shipping products we've had from Apple lately, it was a quiet week for new devices — except from Meta.
This week Meta launched a $1,500 VR headset and Mark Zuckerberg has chosen to defend the price by saying, well, it's cheaper than Apple's is bound to be, so there. He also insists the world needs VR to be an open system, so he's collaborating with Windows.
Even without clicking that Play button, you can already hear your AppleInsider podcast hosts saying to Zuckerberg uh-huh, sure, "open" system, we believe you.
What you won't believe, despite the greatest efforts of an AI company, is that there is a brand-new interview with the deceased Steve Jobs on a podcast. For some reason, he didn't show up and neither did "host" Joe Rogan - yet it sounds as if it they were both there.
It does and it doesn't. But this kind of deep-fake audio work raises some quite scary questions for the future.
Speaking of questions, though, if you are a developer and you have one, Apple is listening. In what seems to be an excellent experiment to reproduce the annual developer sessions at WWDC, a new Ask Apple service has launched.
It's only getting a short run, which does suggest it's a pilot, but it's a promising one. Developers around the world will be able to speak with Apple staff about specific coding problems, or perhaps details of Apple's iOS APIs, and more.
Contact your hosts
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- Leather iPhone 14 Pro Case - RYAN London
- Ask Apple - Eventsr
- Apple Card Daily Cash can be shunted to high-yield savings soon
- How to fix the 'Apple Card can not be used' error in Wallet
- iPadOS 16.1 expected to arrive near the end of October
- Compared: Apple Watch Series 8 vs Google Pixel Watch
- Anker 621 Magnetic Battery (MagGo)
- mophie Snap+ Juice Pack Mini
- Anker 622 Magnetic Battery
- Apple MagSafe Battery Pack
- Shop Zagg MagSafe PowerStation
- Teens are still excited about iPhone and Apple Watch, less so about VR
- Zuckerberg thinks Apple is making aggressive moves now to control the metaverse
- Quest Pro is Meta's new $1,499 mixed reality headset
- Fake Joe Rogan interviews ghost of Steve Jobs on AI-made podcast
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.