AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
Apple has released macOS Big Sur version 11.1 with support for AirPods Max and the new privacy "nutrition" labels for the Mac App Store.
Users who can update to the latest version can wait for the automatic update to begin overnight, or open the System Preferences app and select Software Update. The update arrives alongside iOS 14.3 which also brought support for Apple Fitness .
The macOS 11.1 update includes support for the newly announced AirPods Max which begin shipping to customers December 15. The expensive over-the-ear headphones have many of the same features of the AirPods Pro and connect instantly using your Apple ID.
Apple's release notes include all changes made with the macOS 11.1 update:
macOS Big Sur 11.1 introduces support for AirPods Max, TV app enhancements, Apple News widgets, and privacy information on the App Store. This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac.
- Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
- High fidelity audio for rich sound
- Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
- Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
- Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
- Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience
- An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
- Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
- Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports
- Apple News widgets are now available in Notification Center
- New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app's privacy practices
- In-game dashboard within Arcade games recommends new Arcade games to play
iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1
- New window options for iPhone and iPad apps let you switch between landscape and portrait orientations or expand a window to fill the entire screen
- Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
- Ecosia search engine option in Safari
- Available in Maps and Siri for locations in China mainland
- Health recommendations are provided in Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels
This release also addresses the following issues:
- QuickTime Player might quit when opening a movie with a timecode track after upgrading from macOS Catalina
- Bluetooth connection status was not displayed in Control Center
- Reliability of unlocking your Mac automatically with your Apple Watch
- Trackpad scrolling speed may be faster than expected on MacBook Pro models
- LG UltraFine 5K Display may incorrectly display at 4K resolution on Macs with M1
Neither the first nor second beta of macOS Big Sur 11.1 indicated there would be new features in the release. It is likely that the improvements will center upon performance and bug fixes, especially considering the influx of Mac hardware using the M1 processors.