AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
Apple has released iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3 to the public with ProRAW, Shortcuts updates, and compatibility for AirPods Max and Apple Fitness+.
The update comes after Apple announced the AirPods Max, which release on December 15, and the launch date of Apple Fitness+, which is December 14. The updates can be installed from the Settings app automatically or by navigating to General, then Software Update.
With iOS 14.3 Apple introduces ProRAW, a new image format exclusive to the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max. With ProRAW enabled, users will be able to access all of the information provided by the image signal processor, combining the benefits of both DSLR-style RAW photography with computational photography.
Third-party apps like Halide and Darkroom will be able to take advantage of the ProRAW format as well.
The update adds compatibly with its latest hardware release, the AirPods Max. The premium over-the-ear headphones include multiple technologies that iOS can take advantage of including Adaptive EQ and spatial audio.
Apple Fitness+ also launches to customers with this update, making working out at home an integrated Apple experience. Launch the app on your iPhone or iPad to begin a workout, and view your health metrics provided by the Apple Watch right on the screen as you work out to a video stream hosted by one of Apple's team of instructors
Other changes found in the updates include an "AirTags" setup process, which indicates the often-rumored product could launch in the not too distant future. Apple may have intended to launch "AirTags" alongside the AirPods Max, but the timing for such a product is still not ideal given the global pandemic and associated societal restrictions.
Apple's release notes include all changes made with the iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3 updates:
iOS 14.3 includes support for Apple Fitness+ and AirPods Max. This release also adds the ability to capture photos in Apple ProRAW on iPhone 12 Pro, introduces privacy information on the App Store, and includes other features and bug fixes for your iPhone.
- A new fitness experience powered by Apple Watch with studio-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV (Apple Watch Series 3 and later)
- New Fitness app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV to browse Fitness+ workouts, trainers, and personalized recommendations
- Video workouts added each week in ten popular workout types: High Intensity Interval Training, Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Core, Strength, Dance, Rowing, Treadmill Walking, Treadmill Running, and Mindful Cooldown
- Playlists curated by Fitness+ trainers to complement your workout
- Fitness+ subscription available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States
- Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
- High fidelity audio for rich sound
- Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
- Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
- Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
- Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience
- Apple ProRAW photos can be captured on iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
- Option to record video at 25 fps
- Mirror the front facing camera for still photos on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X
- New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app's privacy practices
- An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
- Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre, and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
- Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports
- Support for launching App Clips by scanning Apple-designed App Clip Codes via Camera or from Control Center
- Ability to indicate pregnancy, lactation, or contraceptive use in Cycle Tracking in the Health app in order to better manage period and fertile window predictions
- Available in Maps and Siri for locations in China mainland
- Health recommendations are provided for Siri in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels
- Ecosia search engine option in Safari
This release also addresses the following issues:
- Some MMS messages may not be received
- Contact groups failed to display members when composing a message
- Some videos would not appear correctly when shared from the Photos app
- App folders may fail to open
- Spotlight search results, and opening apps from Spotlight may not work
- Bluetooth could be unavailable in Settings
- MagSafe Duo Charger could wirelessly charge your iPhone at less than the maximum power
- Wireless accessories and peripherals using the WAC protocol could fail to complete setup
- The keyboard would dismiss when adding a list in Reminders while using VoiceOver
The original iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 update made changes refreshing the Home screen and app interface at launch, tweaked Messages and Safari, overhauled Siri, added elements to Apple Maps, introduced Sound Recognition alerts, and offered CarKey support, among other changes. The iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 updates added eight new wallpaper options, new emoji, and improved iconography across the operating system, as well as other small er changes.