AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
Apple releases a record-breaking earnings report, iOS 14.4 launches with updates to HomePod mini, tips for creating Wi-Fi network QR codes and we highlight the new document creation app, Craft.
iOS 14.4, QR code tips, Apple earnings and note apps on the AppleInsider podcast
Apple reveals a record-breaking earnings report, iOS 14.4 brings updates to HomePod mini, plus we have tips on note taking apps, and creating Wi-Fi network QR codes.
For its latest quarterly earnings, Apple reported record-breaking revenue of $111.4 billion, a 21% increase from the pervious year. That's rather a lot of cash, marking the first time Apple has exceeded $100 billion in a single quarter.
But as well as the money, there were particularly interesting points of interest from the call. Such as how the iPad line has grown by 41%, Apple has shipped an estimated 90.1 million iPhones during the last three months of 2020, — and revenue from China increased by 57% over last year.
Apple also released a new iOS 14 and iPadOS, both now on 14.4. The key improvements include a revamped Handoff for the HomePod mini, and an updated "Find My Items" to the Find My app. At the same time, watchOS was also updated to 7.3 with a new Unity watch face, wider ECG support and celebrity "Time to Walk" audio workouts.
Stephen Robles produced a new how-to video on the AppleInsider YouTube channel that explains how to scan and create your own QR codes for free using Siri Shortcuts. Answering a question from listeners, we also discuss creating a QR code for connecting to a password-protected Wi-Fi network automatically. You can add that Shortcut to your device here.
Speaking of Shortcuts, you can actually trigger them and more automations from NFC tags which are readily available to purchase in bulk online. We discuss useful placements for NFC tag stickers and the Linq Apple Watch band with built-in NFC chip.
We also cover the recently released note-taking app and Notion competitor, Craft. While it supports Markdown and rich text editing, its sharing features that include sharing a public link to a website-style page layout is especially useful.
If you have questions or comments on the show, tweet at @stephenrobles and @wgallagher, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts .
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Molekule: Get 10% off your first air purifier purchase when you use the promo code appleinsider at checkout! Visit: molekule.com to learn more. You can also listen to our interview with Molekule CEO Jaya Rao on HomeKit Insider!
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Links from the show
- Create a Wi-Fi QR Code Shortcut
- How to scan and create QR codes for free - YouTube
- Craft Note Example
- Notes of interest from Apple's Q1 2021 earnings report and conference call
- Apple shipped 90.1M iPhones in Q4 to oust Samsung as world's top smartphone vendor, report says
- Apple's $111.4B Q1 shatters quarterly record with massive growth across all categories
- iOS 14.4 and iPadOS 14.4 released with new Find My Items support, improved HomePod mini Handoff
- HomePod mini updated with new Handoff experience in OS version 14.4
- Apple releases watchOS 7.3 with Unity watch face, wider ECG support
- Apple adds celebrity 'Time to Walk' audio workouts in Apple Fitness+
- Apple's Jeff Williams and Jay Blahnik talk new 'Time to Walk' feature
- HDR Screen Test
- GoToTags Blank White NFC Stickers
- Weewooday 20 Pieces On-Metal NFC Stickers
- Craft | A fresh take on documents
- Messages using 700% CPU on M1
- Belkin 3-in-1 Wireless Charger with MagSafe
- Review: Car and Driver Intellidash+ is a painless way to add CarPlay to your vehicle
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]