On this week's AppleInsider Podcast, leaks about an 'A14X' chip coming to new iPad Pro models, rumors of HomePod devices with screens, and Intel's ad campaign fails.
The latest iOS 14.5 beta references an unreleased "A14X" chip that is expected to power new iPad Pro models. Recent rumors include a mini-LED screen on the 12.9-inch model, better I/O connectivity, and a possible launch at an April Apple event.
Found in the latest macOS Big Sur beta are new hardware identifiers for "iMac21,1" and "iMac21,2," which appear to be the new iMac models powered by Apple Silicon and rumored to sport a physical design refresh.
Discovered in the HomePod mini is a temperature and humidity sensor that could be enabled in a software update. If enabled, these sensors could be used in HomeKit to display room temperature in the app or trigger home automations.
In a recent Bloomberg report, Mark Gurman mentioned that Apple has "been developing new speakers with screens and cameras." Amazon and Google already make similar devices like the Echo Show and Nest Home, but a device like this could include features such as HomeKit, Siri, and even FaceTime.
As the latest Apple TV model is need of a refresh, we discuss the possible combination of devices Apple could release, such as a sound bar with Apple TV built-in, a return to the Wi-Fi router business, or simplifying the product to an inexpensive streaming stick.
After Intel's failed ad campaign, their CEO has announced plans to build chip fabrication facilities in Ocotillo, Arizona. After describing their ads attacking Apple as "competitive fun," Intel hopes to one day fabricate Apple's chips, like the M1 and compete with TSMC here in the US.
Neil Hughes returns to the podcast and rounds out this episode reviewing his experience of Apple Fitness+ and the difference it made during quarantine.
If you have questions or comments on the show, tweet at @stephenrobles and @thisisneil, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts .
Do you host a podcast discussing technology or Apple devices and would like an AppleInsider staffer to appear as a guest? Let us know by sending a message to: [email protected] and we'll be in touch!
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
- SmartAsset: Get a FREE, personalized retirement planning report when you to: smartasset.com/appleinsider
- Nebia by Moen: The Nebia by Moen Spa Shower is Nebia's most advanced shower yet. Use code AppleInsider for 15% off Nebia products! Visit nebia.com/appleinsider to learn more.
- Ladder: Protect your family with incredible term life insurance from Ladder. Visit ladderlife.com/appleinsider to learn more.
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Links from the show
- Two unreleased iMacs referenced in macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta
- iOS 14.5 beta code reveals 'A14X' chip rumored to power iPad Pro
- HomePod mini has hidden, unused temperature sensor
- Apple HomeHub - What an iPad and HomePod fusion should deliver
- The case for Apple TV — why Apple's 'hobby' isn't as dead as critics think
- Intel takes aim at Apple, instead shoots itself in the dongle
- Intel wants to manufacture Apple Silicon
- Intel to consumers: 'Go PC!' - Intel to Apple: 'Good God do we need your business!'
- Apple Fitness+ review: A physical & mental health godsend during the pandemic winter
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.