New 27-inch iMac, AirTag anti-stalking, iMessage debacle on the AppleInsider podcast
On this week's episode of the AppleInsider Podcast, your hosts discuss the coming 27-inch iMac Pro update, what to do if you see AirTag 'Item Detected Near You' notifications, and go in-depth on the iMessage lock-in debacle.
Early this year we expect Apple to release the long-awaited Apple Silicon 27-inch iMac. Rumors conflict on whether it will be a "Pro" machine with mini-LED display and ProMotion or a consumer-level update lacking those features. We discuss what to expect and highlight new renders published on AppleInsider.
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reports that Apple's VR Headset will use the same 96W charger as current MacBook Pro models. These rumors come on the heels of Mark Gurman of Bloomberg claiming this VR headset would be released later this year.
Various reports have claimed AirTag is being used for nefarious purposes like stalking and car theft. We discuss the anti-stalking features of AirTag and what to do if you see the 'Item Detected Near You' notification.
The conversation around iMessage lock-in has heated up as Google vice president Hiroshi Lockheimer
called out Apple for platform lock-in. Your hosts dive into the details of RCS, specifically carrier support in the US and the messaging landscape internationally.
Contact your hosts
- Submit anonymous tips on Signal: +1 863-703-0668
- @stephenrobles on Twitter
- @WGallagher on Twitter
- Headspace: Get a FREE one-month trial with access to the entire Headspace library! Visit headspace.com/appleinsider to learn more.
- Zocdoc: Go to zocdoc.com/appleinsider and download the app to sign-up for FREE. Find doctors and specialists that take your insurance and even book appointments online!
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- Apple VR, iPhone 14, and iMessage controversy - An exclusive interview with Rene Ritchie
- Apple's new 27-inch iMac with Apple Silicon - what to expect, and when it might be announced
- Apple AR headset will need same 96W charger as MacBook Pro
- Apple releases iOS 15.2.1 and iPadOS 15.2.1 with HomeKit & CarPlay fixes
- Wordle - A daily word game
- Amidst backlash, Apple has purged most of the Wordle clones from the App Store
- What to do if you see on your iPhone
- Betteridge's law of headlines - Wikipedia
- Locket Widget on the App Store
- Automatic Wallpaper Shortcut for iPhone and iPad - YouTube
- Apple will allow alternative payment systems in South Korea App Store
- Google Graveyard - Killed by Google
- Apple uses Messages colors to bully Android users, says Google
- Green texts in iMessages nudge teens to use iPhones
- Apple pitched a standardized version of iMessage to wireless carriers, but they didn't bite
- Google SVP Tweet on iMessage
- T-Mobile blocking Apple's iCloud Private Relay for some - but it's complicated
- T-Mobile backs down on claim that iOS 15.2 changed iCloud Private Relay settings
- Steve Jobs introduced the first MacBook Pro 16 years ago
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.
Podcast artwork from Basic Apple Guy. Download the free wallpaper pack here.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.