Apple's macOS Ventura and iOS 16.1 are officially out, plus the first beta of iPadOS 16.2 reveals the new Freeform app, while the iCloud website gets a great redesign, and App Store advertising is causing some heat, all on the AppleInsider podcast.
Apple definitely seems a bit grumpy about moving the iPhone from a Lightning connector to USB-C, and it's clearly only doing so because of the European Union making it mandatory. What's less clear is quite when it will make the switch, though, as the timing of EU legislation means Apple has some options.
It will be either 2023 or 2024's iPhones that switch, though, and coming back to the present day, Apple has released macOS Ventura, iOS 16.1, and iPadOS 16.1. That's the first release of the new OS for the iPad, but practically the instant it was released, Apple issued a beta version of iPadOS 16.2.
What's most significant, at least visibly, about that release is that it includes the new Apple app, Freeform.
Alongside all of this interesting and good stuff, though, Apple also this week released something that went down rather less well. Its new push on advertising in the App Store has caused controversy, and enough so that Apple has paused what it's doing.
Only, "pausing" is not even close to "stopping", and the issues remain over how Apple allowed a system that would advertise gambling games next to apps intended to help recovering gambling addicts.
Contact your hosts
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts.
Links from the show
- Use fall detection with Apple Watch - Apple Support
- Arc from The Browser Company
- Vivaldi Browser
- Web Browser Tweet Thread
- Hazel App for Mac
- Tutti Frutti (TV Mini Series 1987) - IMDb
- M2 iPad Pro review roundup: Familiar but much faster
- How to use Apple Pencil's new Hover Mode with M2 iPad Pro
- New 16-inch iPad rumored to arrive in late 2023
- Universal Phone Stand Holder, Klearlook
- macOS Ventura review: Great features and promise, but not all here yet
- Hands on with Apple's Freeform collaborative brainstorming app
- Apple's new iCloud website design is beautiful
- iMessage for Android would have stifled innovation, says Craig Federighi
- Greg Joswiak confirms iPhone's future move to USB-C
- Gambling App Store ads are showing up next to addiction recovery apps
- App Store Ad - Marco's Tweet
- I could have died' says Apple Watch-wearing doctor who took a hard fall
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected].
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.