Apple's big September event has been revealed with the phrase "Time Flies." We go through the products rumored to be released, discuss very welcome new patent filings for future Siri improvements, give an update that Epic Games App Store policy battle, and unexpected thoughts on macOS Big Sur beta.
Apple has announced a special event that will air on September 15, at 10 A.M. Pacific time. After weeks of rumors surrounding the "Apple Watch Series 6" and updated iPad Air, we believe these two products may be announced at next week's event with the possibility of seeing Apple's location tracker device "AirTags". You'll notice something missing there - this event won't include the "iPhone 12."
Looking further ahead, newly revealed patent filings show how Apple is trying to cut down on the number of times Siri activates when you didn't mean it to. Methods could include checking for eye contact, whether a phone is face down on a table, in a pocket, and as well as saving us some exasperation, Apple hopes this will also save battery drainage when Siri is always listening.
Next, Facebook, Epic Games and Apple continue to issue legal statements and Epic decided to claim that accounts using "Sign in with Apple" would cease working, although Apple didn't say that. (Update: Epic Games now claims that Apple has "reversed course" on that. Uh-huh.)
We discuss Big Sur as William has installed the development beta — he says practically by accident — and so has been examining the design changes, Safari speed, sounds, and more.
We'd love to interact with you on Twitter! If you have questions you'd like answered on the show or comments, tweet at Stephen Robles and William Gallagher, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts here.
Don't forget to subscribe and listen to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything else HomeKit related! Subscribe in Apple podcasts, Pocket Casts, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Links from the show
- Apple's 'Apple Watch Series 6' and iPad 'Time Flies' event will be on September 15
- Carrier marketing email confirms 'iPhone 12' 5G support
- 14-inch Apple Silicon MacBook Pro coming at 'Time Flies' Apple event, says leaker
- What to expect at Apple's September 15 'Time Flies' event
- Apple Watch will drive Sept. 15 event with possible 'iPhone 12' announcement, says JP Morgan
- Apple refining Siri to cut down on mistaken activations, and to draw less power
- Mark Zuckerberg says Apple's App Store 'deserves scrutiny'
- Facebook accuses Apple of anticompetitive behavior in EU antitrust filing
- Apple fires back in Epic Games 'Fortnite' saga, seeks damages for breach of contract
- Apple shutting down Sign in with Apple support for Epic Games accounts
- Epic Games' CEO responds to Apple's countersuit in Twitter thread
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]