AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
On the AppleInsider podcast this week, your hosts discuss the new features in iOS 15.2, LG working on ProDisplay XDR successor, and highlight the best Apple Watch apps.
iOS 15.2 and macOS Monterey 12.1 are now available and bring new features across Apple's platforms. iPhone users running iOS 15.2 can now select Legacy Contacts which allows a trusted contact to access your iCloud data after death.
App Privacy Report can now be enabled which reveals what URLs, sensors, and other data third-party apps are accessing in the background. For the Mac, SharePlay comes to macOS 12.1 while the much anticipated Universal Control feature is delayed until Spring 2022.
Swift Playgrounds has been updated on iPad and now allows users to build and distribute iOS and iPadOS applications to the App Store. App Preview allows developers to see live updates as they make changes to the app, and projects can be moved between Swift Playgrounds and Xcode with App Projects.
LG is rumored to be working on multiple, high-end displays that will join the ProDisplay XDR in Apple's lineup. Leaker @dylandkt on Twitter claims a 24-inch and 27-inch model is coming to mimic Apple's iMac displays, and a second-generation successor to ProDisplay XDR.
Apple has reinstated a mask mandate for its retail stores, and closed multiple locations due to the COVID-19 spike in cases. In addition, CEO Tim Cook stated in a company-wide memo that a date for employees to return to the office has been delayed and employees will receive $1,000 for purchasing at-home equipment.
While two of the child safety features launched in iOS 15.2, CSAM photo monitoring has been removed from Apple's website. The Verge was told Apple still plans to launch this feature in the future. Then we round out the show featuring our favorite Apple Watch apps and utilities.
Follow our hosts
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- How to set up Legacy Contacts in iOS 15
- Hands on with the new features in iOS 15.2
- Apple delays release of Universal Control for macOS, iPadOS until 2022
- Apple releases Swift Playground 4 with iPad-based app development support
- Apple releases AirTag 'Tracker Detect' app for Android
- Disney+ adds support for SharePlay on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV
- LG working on Pro Display XDR successor & 2 other high-end monitors, reportedly for Apple
- Apple brings back mask requirement to all U.S. Apple Stores
- Apple closes three retail locations in the US & Canada due to Covid-19 surge
- Apple delaying corporate return to the office date indefinitely
- Apple wipes on-device CSAM photo monitoring from site, but plans unchanged
- What is Roblox? Everything you need to know about the latest craze
- How to use macOS Messages to Share Your Screen Remotely - YouTube
Apple Watch apps
- Pocket Casts
- AnyList: Grocery Shopping List
- HomeCam for HomeKit
- Sleep Watch by Bodymatter
- 1Password - Password Manager
- Bear - Markdown Notes
- Deliveries: a package tracker
- Outdooractive: Hiking & Biking
- Lumen - Metabolism Tracker
- Just Press Record
- CARROT Weather
- Headspace: Mindful Meditation
- HomeRun 2 for HomeKit
- Your Apple Watch stylist buddywatch
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.