iPhone 14 Pro always-on display, 'Studio Display Pro' in Fall, HomePod rumors on the AppleInsider podcast
New iPhone 14 Pro rumors are pointing to updated FaceTime camera and always-on display, 'Studio Display Pro' with miniLED may launch this Fall, and the future of HomePod, all on the new AppleInsider podcast.
Digital IDs are now available in Maryland, allowing users to present the Wallet app on their iPhone at TSA checkpoints. Digital IDs were announced last year at WWDC, almost a year ago, and only a limited number of states in the US have implemented the technology so far.
Soon, though, additional states will be supporting digital IDs. They include Colorado, Hawaii, Mississippi, Ohio, Georgia, Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Utah.
Digital IDs may be taking a long time to roll out, but Apple's new Tap to Pay feature is already hitting Apple Stores nationwide. It means that Apple Store payments can be accepted via iPhone with no additional hardware.
Announced in February 2022, Tap to Pay will be available this year to businesses and third-party apps. Few businesses have been revealed, but as Apple announced the feature, payment processor Stripe launched a closed beta program for potentially all of its business customers to work with it Tap to Pay.
Next, display analyst Ross Young says he now expects the iPhone 14 Pro lineup to feature an always-on display, much like the Apple Watch Series 5 and newer. The current iPhone 13 Pro model features a variable refresh rate display but only drops down to 10Hz.
These new models could match the Apple Watch and drop to a 1Hz refresh rate. That would save significant battery life on iPhone 14 Pro, and could be what makes an always-on display practica.
Since its debut in November 2020, Apple hasn't updated HomePod mini with new features or hardware upgrades. However, that may soon change according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who claims a new version of HomePod is launching later this year or early 2023.
It's not the first time we've had rumors of new HomePod devices. Previous ones have also predicted screens on HomePods, or that they will even act as a soundbar to compete with Sonos.
Contact our hosts
- Send tips on Signal: +1 863-703-0668
- @stephenrobles on Twitter
- @Hillitech on Twitter
- SuperBeets: Get up to 45% OFF and free shipping when you visit: superbeets.com/appleinsider
- New Relic: Get access to the whole New Relic platform and 100GB of data free, forever - no credit card required! Sign up at: newrelic.com/appleinsider
- Fast Growing Trees: Get trees and other plant varieties that thrive where YOU live! Visit FastGrowingTrees.com/appleinsider and get 15% OFF your entire order!
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- iStat Menus
- Apple shares full program for its upcoming hybrid WWDC 2022 event
- Digital ID feature in Apple Wallet has expanded to Maryland
- Apple's iTunes Pass is now rebranded as 'Apple Account Card' for iOS 15.5 users
- Apple Stores start accepting Tap to Pay across US
- Mystery Apple network adapter surfaces in FCC filings
- UniFi Network Wi-Fi
- iPhone 14 Pro could get the Apple Watch's always-on display feature
- iPhone 14 to get 'high-end' front camera with built-in autofocus
- Apple 'Studio Display Pro' delayed until October, according to display analyst
- Everything we know about the next HomePod
- New HomePod model coming as soon as late 2022, according to Ming-Chi Kuo
- Apple HomeHub - What an iPad and HomePod fusion should deliver
- Apple to increase starting pay for hourly workers to $22 per hour
- Apple retail, HR chief pushes back against union drives at Apple Stores
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.
Podcast artwork from Basic Apple Guy. Download the free wallpaper pack here.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.