AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
On this week's AppleInsider podcast we describe Final Cut Pro performance on Apple Silicon M1 MacBooks, using a Mac laptop with external monitors, using an Apple Watch for vlogging, and how Apple could use AR for customer support.
Apple made a big deal about video editing on the new Apple Silicon M1 Macs, and the company wasn't kidding. We take a deep dive what it's really like editing 4K video on an M1 MacBook Pro, including the use of Final Cut Pro and Compressor. The incredible performance on these first M1 Macs have us excited for the future of high-end Apple Silicon MacBook Pro models and iMacs.
There is a downside to producing video on a 13-inch MacBook, though, and that is the screen size. It turns out that finding a high-quality monitor with Thunderbolt connectivity that works well with the M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro is a little tricky. Options are limited and the LG UltraFine monitors available directly from Apple are still some of the best options.
Also in this episode of the AppleInsider podcast, we go further and compare that WaterField case to other inexpensive options from Amazon. While not all cases feature WaterField's key ability to put the AirPods Max to sleep, many fully protect your headphones and you can even buy silicon covers for the ear cups as well.
Looking ahead, there are conflicting iPad Pro rumors that make it difficult to predict its launch date, but point to the inclusion of mini LED technology in the display. Our hosts discuss the advantages of the larger 12.9-inch iPad when it comes to battery life, and what combination of laptop and tablet they prefer to carry.
Next, TikTok makes use of LiDAR in the new iPhone 12 Pro to create compelling filters. Their "New Year" filter shows confetti landing on objects throughout a room, giving viewers an impressive augmented reality experience.
We round out the show with Facebook's continued attack on Apple's privacy policies, if Google has delayed updating their iOS apps to avoid the privacy label requirement, and the upcoming court case between Epic Games and Apple.
We'd love to interact with you on Twitter. If you have questions or comments on the show, tweet at @stephenrobles and @Hillitech, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts .
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Links from the show
- Review: WaterField Shield Case offers complete protection and puts your AirPods Max to sleep
- Upgrade your AirPods Max with WaterField Design's Leather Shield Case - YouTube
- AirPods Max Low Power Mode HACKED WITH MAGNETS - YouTube
- Replacement Earpads for AirPods Max
- Geekria UltraShell Case for AirPod Max Headphones
- Smartphone Clamp with Cold Shoe Mount Compatible with Apple Watch
- Ulanzi Selfie Vlog Phone Clip for Apple Watch
- LG 27'' UltraGear 4K Gaming Monitor
- LG UltraFine 24"
- Hubs & Docks
- HyperDrive Gen2 12-Port USB-C Hub
- Apple on track to release mini LED iPad Pro in early 2021
- 2021 iPad predicted to resemble iPad Air, no major changes coming for iPad Pro
- TikTok launches AR effect using LiDAR on iPhone 12 Pro
- Apple AR ambitions could expand Personal Shopping and tech support sessions
- Review: Belkin's delayed MagSafe Boost Charge Pro is worth the wait
- Confusion reigns over report of delays of Belkin 3-in-1 MagSafe Wireless Charger
- 3-in-1 Wireless MagSafe Charger for iPhone 12 | Belkin
- Facebook says it has 'no choice' but to comply with Apple privacy feature
- Google to add privacy information to iOS app suite as soon as this week
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]